Hello from DJ1LA

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
dj1la

Hello from DJ1LA

Post by dj1la » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:14 pm

Hallo my name is Lutz
born in 1954 and OM since 1980
I have a great problem

When I updating the GD 77 firmware I had a power failure (in the whole house - not my own fault) since then I can switch on the GD77 and the screen remains black - the firmware flash mode can be switched on with the side buttons and the green LED lights up but the device is no longer recognized by the computer. Can the device still be saved or just a brick?
I am happy for every hint - thank you to all
Lutz DJ1LA from Beelitz Germany

F1RMB

Re: Hello from DJ1LA

Post by F1RMB » Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:07 am

Hi Lutz,
Lutz wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:14 pm
Hallo my name is Lutz
born in 1954 and OM since 1980
I have a great problem

When I updating the GD 77 firmware I had a power failure (in the whole house - not my own fault) since then I can switch on the GD77 and the screen remains black - the firmware flash mode can be switched on with the side buttons and the green LED lights up but the device is no longer recognized by the computer. Can the device still be saved or just a brick?
I am happy for every hint - thank you to all
Lutz DJ1LA from Beelitz Germany
I don't know about official firmware, but you can't brick your transceiver flashing the OpenGD77 that way.
Have you tried to pull the battery and reinsert it, then enter the bootloader mode (SK1 + SK2 + Power ON) ?

Cheers.
---
Daniel

dj1la

Post by dj1la » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:04 pm

Hi Daniel
Your advice was good - I hadn't tried it before. But when I work under windows 7 the device is not recognized - if I follow your advice under Linux, a Freescale HID is recognized but I cannot find the / dev / port required for the Python program to add it to the program (GD77transfer.py) share (dev / tty0USB0 or similar doesn't work)
Just don't get any further - do you have any ideas?
Bye 73 Lutz

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:13 pm

Hi Lutz,

Lutz wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:04 pm
Hi Daniel
Your advice was good - I hadn't tried it before. But when I work under windows 7 the device is not recognized - if I follow your advice under Linux, a Freescale HID is recognized but I cannot find the / dev / port required for the Python program to add it to the program (GD77transfer.py) share (dev / tty0USB0 or similar doesn't work)
Just don't get any further - do you have any ideas?
Bye 73 Lutz
Yes, under Linux you need a special udev rule to unbind the HID device from the kernel driver (see attachment).

Cheers.
---
Daniel
Attachments
udev_rules.zip
(2.02 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Tue Nov 02, 2021 4:21 pm

BTW, I saw you mentionned GD77transfer.py. I don't know if it's designed to flash the firmware. The attached python script does.
There is also a standalone application, which requites Mono (you need the DLLs too).
https://www.opengd77.com/downloads/Publ ... 002/tools/

Cheers.
---
Daniel
Attachments
gd-77_firmware_loader.py.zip
(62.47 KiB) Downloaded 66 times

oh1fss

Post by oh1fss » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:48 pm

Hi!

In order to upload firmware (a .sgl file) to the radio, you must boot into bootloader mode (SK1+SK2+power on). Then the radio will appear as a HID device on your PC. The gd-77_firmware_loader.py script works fine in Linux, after you update the udev rules. For example, see the last two code sections in https://www.opengd77.com/viewtopic.php? ... 800#p15486.

Script GD77transfer.py can't upload new firmware to the radio. It can upload codeplugs and custom data (satellite keps) and download backups. It works in normal mode (for example, power up normally and select an idle FM channel). In that case the radio appears as a serial port (in LInux /dev/ttyUSB0 for example - see command dmesg).

73 de Juhani OH1FSS

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:41 am

oh1fss wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:48 pm
In order to upload firmware (a .sgl file) to the radio,....
We no longer use .sgl file format. This was the encrypted file format used by the manufacturer, but since the firmware no longer contains sections from the official / proprietary firmware, the files are no unencrypted .bin

However, the radio only accepts encrypted files, so you must either use the Windows CPS or the Python firmware loader script, which decrypts and merges the official firmware sections with the unencrypted binary, and then re-encrypts and uploads to the radio.