Hello and where to start?

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
wc4r

Hello and where to start?

Post by wc4r » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:44 pm

Hello GD77 users! I'm not new to DMR but just ordered the GD77 as a second DMR HT (other is the Anytone 878). The OpenGD77 project sounds fascinating. Reminds me of the day when I flashed my cell phones.
After I get acclimated with the new stock GD77, I'll try the open source firmware. BUT, where does one start? That is, where are all the necessary files located?
73 & CU on DMR.
Joe WC4R
http://wc4r.com

G4EML

Re: Hello and where to start?

Post by G4EML » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:55 am

n6io

Re: Hello and where to start?

Post by n6io » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:03 pm

I wouldn't spend more than an hour or less playing with the stock firmware on your new GD-77. I also had an Anytone 878, then got the GD-77. Any time spent playing with the factory firmware is a waste of time. The keyboard navigation is very different from the 878 and very different from OpenGD77. It will just confuse you. Just make sure it basically functions, then flash it ASAP.

After I had my OpenGD77 radio I very rarely used my 878. I even bought a second GD-77 because I often needed to use a second radio and the 878 is too difficult to program and use for more than just some standard channels.

Keep your code plug simple. You really just need one channel per repeater or hotspot - then create one or maybe more receive groups. But it's so easy to switch to another TG, timeslot, color code or frequency from the keyboard that its almost not worth taking the time to program it into a codeplug.

Have fun