Hello from Georgia

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
KY4RG

Hello from Georgia

Post by KY4RG » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:57 am

Hi,
My name is RobertI' m fairly new to digital amateur radio. I was first licensed as a Novice years ago. I upgraded to General Class and afterward to Extra Class. I've done work in my club as VE.
Since I have a background in IT with a number of years as a sys. admin., digital amateur radio caught my interest.
My first digital radio was Kenwood D74. I love that radio, however being tied to a local repeater is pretty confining so I obtained and set up my own repeater, a mmdvm hotspot using pi-star. And now I have added a Radioddity GD77 to my growing collection of digital gear. I'm interested in learning more about both D-STAR and DMR and in sharing the experience with my local club members who mostly use D-STAR for emergency communications (EC). Although I'm CERT trained for disaster work, there is much more to digital radio besides EC. I like not having to deal with QRN, QSB and QRM.

Robert, KY4RG

VK3KYY

Re: Hello from Georgia

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:43 am

Hi Robert

Due to licenseing problems, all copies of the firmware had to be removed a few days ago.

I think some people have developed a work around so that the firmware can still be obtained. See

https://www.opengd77.com/viewtopic.php? ... ram#p14394

KY4RG

Re: Hello from Georgia

Post by KY4RG » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:07 pm

Hi David,

It's nice to meet you. Thanks for welcoming me aboard.
I've been a ham for 43 years. I have been off and on the air. Mostly hf and more recently vhf and uhf. My old General class call sign was N4LPQ. Perhaps we had a QSO in the past.
I was looking forward to using DMR with my hotspot but it seems licensing problems have recently gotten in the way. I'm sure a resolution will be forthcoming. Howevver I found a solution thanks to a fellow opengd77 ham. My radio is a birthday present from my XYL so I'm honor bound to wait until my birthday next week to use it.

Robert, KY4RG