Greetings from San Francisco

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
aj6iy

Greetings from San Francisco

Post by aj6iy » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:19 pm

As directed, new user posting here first. :D

In addition to fiddling with VHF, UHF, and DMR, I also enjoy making HF contacts - which is tricky where I live in SF because most bands have S8+ noise :shock:

I came across OpenGD77 entirely accidentally (I forget what I was actually searching for...) but was thrilled to see it supports my RD-5R. After installing, it's like a new radio! The DMR support makes so much more sense this way! I've been using qdmr (mostly) to manage the codeplug because I'm also allergic to Windows, though I do have a VM I run the Windows CPS on for critical functions. One DMR issue I'm having some confusion around is how exactly the filtering (color code, timeslot, TG list) works and how to best make channels work with DMR repeaters (I don't have a hotspot, though that may be rectified soon)- I've read the manual and mostly have it, but (for example), on the repeater I use most often, two of the talkgroups I care about are static on TS2, and dynamic groups need to be linked on TS1, but I keep having issues with how I've configured channels in my codeplug - channels keep defaulting to TS1 even for TS2 talkgroups. I do, however, love how easy it is to switch between TS1 and TS2, and even set the radio in promiscuous mode... I just think i'm missing something about how to set up channels, talkgroup lists, and such. I had an uncomfortable detente with the stock CPS (a channel for every TG - ugh) and I think this regime is better, just... confusing. (We won't talk about the time I though I was transmitting to Parrot and instead went out over the North America TG... I've got that sorted ;) )

Anyway - thanks to all involved! I am thoroughly impressed.

+j
AJ6IY - Jeff

Zl1XE

Re: Greetings from San Francisco

Post by Zl1XE » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:41 pm

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:31 pm

Hi Jeff

It depends a lot on how your local repeater operates.

But you normally only need 1 channel per repeater frequency

You create Digital Contacts for the TalkGroups which the repeater supports.

If those TalkGroups are only on a specific TimeSlot, then you can assign that TimeSlot as an override with the Contact / TG, and this will override the TimeSlot specified for the Channel for that repeater

You also need to take a TalkGroup list of all the TalkGroups supported by that repeater, and then in the Channel set the TG List to the list you just made.

Normally repeaters support multiple TG's on the 2 different timeslots, so you assign a TG List to a channel, rather than a single individual Contact / TG.

Some people seem to have repeaters with only 1 TG, in which case they can have a TG list of 1 contact, or use the legacy method of setting the individual Contact to the channel. But this is not the normal operating conditions of 99% of Hams.

So, use the TG List method.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:31 pm

Zl1XE wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:41 pm
may be some help for you here:
- https://www.opengd77.com/viewtopic.php? ... 230#p10875
Thanks

Our posts crossed in the ether.