DD5LP - Ed

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
DD5LP

DD5LP - Ed

Post by DD5LP » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:11 am

Hi All,
I was advised of this great firmware upgrade by Adrian VK2BAC/M0GLJ and got the now 4-year-old Baofeng RD-5R HT out of the cupboard. I had used it previously with some of the local Brandmeister repeaters around here but the nature of if I wanted to add even a new talk Group, having to update the code-plug, was a drawback!

The new firmware has created a new HT! The ability to simply "dial-up" whatever talk group and switch Time Slots if needed etc makes things a lot more user friendly.

I now like to have the HT sat in the shack scanning about a dozen repeater channels and that brings me to the question - is there any way for the user to slow down the scan rate? It's probably twice as quick as I would like as it currently stands.

I do have the PDF manual but I can't find any reference to how to change this setting in there - and there's nothing in the menus on the HT - or at least if there is, I can't find it. Is there a "hidden menu" for such settings?

73 Ed DD5LP.

G4EML

Re: DD5LP - Ed

Post by G4EML » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:34 am

There is no way to slow down the scan rate at present.

Just out of interest what is your reason for wanting to do this? Surely it is better to be scanning a fast as possible so that you do not miss any short calls.

DD5LP

Post by DD5LP » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:52 pm

Hi Colin,
I like to see which repeaters are being received, in the case of a marginal or end of a signal, where the HT doesn't stop when a signal is there. I'd like to be able to go back and wait - when it is zapping past so fast I have no chance or reading the display to indicate the repeater.

In fact at the speed that these are being scanned, it starts to give me a headache!

73 Ed.

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:37 pm

OK, at the moment there is no way to slow down the actual scan. However the scan is paused even if there is just a short burst of signal. You can adjust how long that pause is with the 'Scan Delay' setting in the options menu. If you set that to a longer value a marginal signal will cause the scan to pause for longer which would give you long enough to see the channel.

Colin.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:44 pm

DD5LP wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:52 pm
Hi Colin,
I like to see which repeaters are being received, in the case of a marginal or end of a signal, where the HT doesn't stop when a signal is there.

73 Ed.
This is a different problem.

When the scan function was written, we were not aware that the receiver "Noise" output value, which shows whether there is a valid FM signal, has a much slower response time than thee RSSI output.

I recently did some detailed analysis of both outputs from the receiver, and I will need to modify the scan function to resolve this problem.

I will not however be modifying the scan to slow it down, just so people can read the channel names.

Actually, scan speed may become a bit faster