Hello from a Retired First Responder

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
rgchristy

Hello from a Retired First Responder

Post by rgchristy » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:06 am

Hi All,
I am a retired first responder from Pennsylvania, USA. I am not a ham radio operator yet, so my usage is strictly receive only. I own a GD-77, because it can receive DMR and above 480 MHz. Our county's system is located in the 500 MHz T-Band. After owning v1, v2 and v3 Baofeng DM-5Rs and a Radioddity RD-5R, I am truly pleased with the GD-77. It receives better than any $500 scanner that I own.

The work that Roger has done with this radio, is nothing short of phenomenal. A big thanks to all of you that are involved with this project.

I do have a few questions, though. Is there a blank/default codeplug that should be used with the latest or at least OpenGD77 CPS? The codeplug that I am using is the default that came with the radio initially and since I only have about 100 channels, I would like to start over with a clean codeplug. My other question, and I don't know if anyone else has run across this, is, does anyone experience the scanning feature just turning off at random? I should mention that this has been occurring since I received the radio, so it doesn't seem to be OpenGD77 related. Also, it stops on random channels and there appears to be no pattern.

Anyway, thanks to everyone.

Take Care,
Rich

nr0d

Re: Hello from a Retired First Responder

Post by nr0d » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:15 pm

Welcome!

I don't believe there's a blank codeplug - there's one that comes with the CPS editor, which you can pretty quickly delete things from and add your own. At least that's what I did.

As for scanning, I don't believe I've seen that as yet, but I don't scan a ton as I have two zones: one for a system where all of the repeaters are basically the same and I just select the channel for the one in range, and one with only four channels in it that are quick to go through. See what you see!

And get that license so you can have fun talking as well. Although I do agree this unit is great for DMR listening - and certainly a heck of a lot cheaper than my Uniden BCD-436HP with the optional DMR license that has some known issues with UHF sensitivity.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:31 pm

The CPS has a very basic default codeplug, but its only got a couple of channels in it.

There are 2 types of scanning, a channel / Zone scan, and a VFO frequency range scan

Up to 80 channels can be put into the same "Zone". The term "Zone" is a hang over from the Motorola DMR terminology, and a Zone is simply a group of channels.

There is storage for 1024 (or possibly 1023) channels and a maximum of 68 "zones"

There is also a virtual zone called "All channels", which can also be scanned.

Scan speed approximately 20 channels per second.

The primary function of the firmware is not to operate as a scanning receiver, and there are much better commercial scanners than the GD-77 (or DM-1801 etc) running this firmware.
The firmware is mainly designed for Ham radio operators, specifically those using DMR.

Note.
Encoded or Encrypted DMR is not supported, as its illegal for Ham radio operators to use these modes. However its quite likely your local emergency services may use encryption or encoding of some kind.

Hence you won't be able to receive them using this firmware.

I believe there are some expensive commercial scanners which can decode some DMR signals that use the basic protection level on DMR, but they won't be able to decode the signal if its fully encrypted.

kd2lh

Post by kd2lh » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:35 pm

Welcome to the project.

After you're licensed, note that you can also use recycled P25 radios like Motorola's MTS-3000 on ham radio with networks like Brandmeister through the use of radio "Hotspots". These devices can communicate with DMR, P25, YSF, and other digital FM protocols, and interconnect you with the world.

Roger's work with the GD77 has made it a very capable and valued radio.

rgchristy

Post by rgchristy » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:40 pm

Thanks for the prompt and friendly replies.

I never thought to use the codeplug that came with the CPS. I wanted to start fresh, because the codeplug that I'm using came with the radio and I heard that there were some issues converting original or older codeplugs to the OpenGD77 CPS.

Roger, When you said this "The primary function of the firmware is not to operate as a scanning receiver, and there are much better commercial scanners than the GD-77 (or DM-1801 etc) running this firmware.", could you please tell me the make and model numbers of these commercial scanners?

As far as encryption goes, nothing that I listen to is encrypted, DMR or analog. Our county is 500 MHz analog, with the exception of the SWAT channel, which is P25 encrypted, so I couldn't listen to it no matter what radio or scanner that I used.

Thanks again and take care,

Rich

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:17 pm

Unfortunateiy i don't know anything about commercial scanner radios