能否添加中文语言

New users must post here first and let us know a little bit about yourself.
BG3OXP

能否添加中文语言

Post by BG3OXP » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:18 pm

开发固件的工程师您好!
工程师您好请问是否在以后的固件中添加中文语言呢?添加中文语言后会方便中国的HAM在使用电台时更加方便及易懂操作简单。

OE1MWW

Re: 能否添加中文语言

Post by OE1MWW » Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:09 pm

BG3OXP Jia Fangchao, Hengshui City, Hebei Province, China

writes (it sounds like):

Kāifā gùjiàn de gōngchéngshī nín hǎo! Gōngchéngshī nín hǎo qǐngwèn shìfǒu zài yǐhòu de gùjiàn zhōng tiānjiā zhōngwén yǔyán ne? Tiānjiā zhōngwén yǔyán hòu huì fāngbiàn zhōngguó de HAM zài shǐyòng diàntái shí gèngjiā fāngbiàn jí yì dǒng cāozuò jiǎndān.

Sorry, my Mandarin lessons are loooong time ago - I would understand 'nín hǎo' (hello)
and therefore the Google translation of the post of BG3OXP:

Can add Chinese language
Hello engineers who develop firmware!
Hello engineer, do you want to add Chinese language to the firmware in the future? After adding Chinese language, it will be more convenient and easy for Chinese HAM to use the radio.

73's de OE1MWW
Wolfgang

P.S. wonder if OM Jia, BG3OXP can name us a source that has still has some (or many!) GD-77 or Tyt MD-760 on stock

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:17 pm

Thanks for the translation

This question has already been answered several times already, so the person asking the question has not bothered to do their homework.

We can't support Chinese because the font is in the firmware and there is insufficient space to store the thousands of Chinese characters

The official firmware uses a lot of the external Flash memory to store the Chinese font data, but we don't do that because access to the Flash memory is very slow, and also we store lots of extra data , including the voice prompts and many more DMR IDs in the Flash

Source code for the last Release is freely available for any Chinese developers to rewrite all the font and text handling to use the Flash memory for Chinese fonts, but , no Chinese can be bothered to do this

The programming would need to be done by a native Chinese speaker

BTW.

I already also posted that if one of the Chinese hams can tell a subset of the Chinese characters, max of 256 - number digits etc, that could be used, then we could do a custom version, like the Japanese version which has some western and some other language characters, but none of the Chinese hams replied offering to help with this

icz_tb

Post by icz_tb » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:19 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:17 pm

I already also posted that if one of the Chinese hams can tell a subset of the Chinese characters, max of 256 - number digits etc, that could be used, then we could do a custom version, like the Japanese version which has some western and some other language characters, but none of the Chinese hams replied offering to help with this
Hi, VK3KYY,
I'm interested in providing some help on this, to my understand no need to provide the whole set of Chinese characters, only for the ones used by the Radio,right?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:54 am

icz_tb wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:19 am
VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:17 pm

Hi, VK3KYY,
I'm interested in providing some help on this, to my understand no need to provide the whole set of Chinese characters, only for the ones used by the Radio,right?
Yes.

But the number of characters available is very low

Total characters is 256, and if letters A - Z and a - z and numbers and also mathematical signs are also needed in Chinese, then the total number of characters available for Chinese is probably 175 or less

We were told by other Chinese hams that 175 characters was not enough to make a Chinese language version.

Also note. These characters could not easily be used for channel names, or TG names, because the CPS does not support unicode characters and would be unable to convert specific unicode characters to the character number value used inside the radio

icz_tb

Post by icz_tb » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:06 am

Hi, VK3KYY,
Many thanks for your reply, understand the limitations.
Think for people asking for the Chinese version, mainly want to see the Menu items /options display in Chinese, so it could be easier for them to use.
If the 'UI' display can be Chinese version that would be helpful.
I'm not sure if there is soource code available for Japanese version that I can take reference of, the approach could be very similar (I hope)
Also trying to setup development environment to load latest version of code, but no luck so far, if there could be some instruction document that would be great!

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:17 am

Source code for the Japanese version is within the source code

Its just a conditional build which uses different character map data, and also for Japanese, the other Western languages e.g. German are removed, and the only language options are Japanese and English
This is because some Western languages use special characters not used in normal American or British English, e.g. German has the "double S"

In the source code see

firmware/include/hardware/UC1701_charset_JA.h

Western chararacters are from ascii 32 ( space character) to 127

So this only leaves 128 characters for Chinese.

Possibly characters below 32 can be used, but I'm not sure. Daniel F1RMB is the expert in this area

icz_tb

Post by icz_tb » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:51 am

Thanks for your response, this helps.
for the char definations, I see there are many differnt font size defined there, font_6x8 , font_8x8,
if I want to make some change as a begining, like define two characters for testing purpose, would it be suffcient i only update the font_6x8 table?
I saw in the project setting , there are differnt build target defined, eg, JA_UR5R , however after switching to it, I do not see what different paramaters it passes to the complier to indicate to compile with japanese version lanauage suport,
if i want to add a new lanuage support build config, what shall I do? please suggest.
Thank you.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:05 am

There are separate build targets for each supported radio e.g. RD5R , GD77, GD77S, DM1801 and also for each of these there is a normal and Japanese build

So you need to pick the build type for your radio e.g. GD77 (MD-760) and the Japanese option if you want to experiment by changing the japanese

You need to change the character map data and you also need to change the japanese.h file which contains the text

Note the encoding of the language files e.g. Japanese.h is not UTF-8
On Windows Notepad++ the encoding type is ANSII , for linus it is windows-1252-unix, see the commet on lines 37-41 in Japanese.h

Re: Which character map characters you need to change.

The menu entries use FONT_SIZE_3 , whichis the 8x16 font. This may not be ideal for chinese characters which are possibly normally square, but it would require a complete design of the UI to use different shaped characters in the fonts

icz_tb

Post by icz_tb » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:54 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:05 am

The menu entries use FONT_SIZE_3 , whichis the 8x16 font. This may not be ideal for chinese characters which are possibly normally square, but it would require a complete design of the UI to use different shaped characters in the fonts
Yea, this is important information, indeed, 8x16 can barely be used for Chinese characters , 16x16 is a good resolution... I checked the JA language, the characters used there have no issue with 8x16, however for Chinese display, i'm not sure if can render one Character using 2places for 8x16 char,which becomes 16x16.

but I agree, the UI display will be different, need adjustment/redesign..

Try to give some sample below, 8x8 is not useable, minimun shall be 12x12 to give a clear reading i think..

16x16
16x16
16x16
16x16.png (29.42 KiB) Viewed 1273 times
12x12
12x12
12x12
12x12.png (13.33 KiB) Viewed 1273 times
8x8
8x8
8x8
8x8.png (3.91 KiB) Viewed 1273 times