[Bug in the official firmware] Can't get into firmware update mode, has anything changed?

kt4lh

[Bug in the official firmware] Can't get into firmware update mode, has anything changed?

Post by kt4lh » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:27 pm

No matter what I do, black button seems to work fine when booted, blue works fine, but I can not boot into firmware mode holding both while powering on, it just boots right to the radio like I wasn't pushing any buttons. Am I missing something?

If it matters, current FW is 20:41:56, June 3, 0690263

OH! WHEW! If I turn Sound->Prompt->Silent it works fine! Surely I'm not the only one that's seen this? Has to be some sort of conflict with the function there. I updated to the lastest June 13 build and seeing the same thing.

Okay, on the June 13 it seems to be luck if it boots into Firmware mode, regardless of the Sound setting. Not sure what's going on here, my Blue key has always needed a firm press, but it works 100% of the time to bring up menus (Blue 3, etc) and Black always works, but having a LOT of trouble getting in the firmware mode when I never have before.

VK3KYY

Re: Can't get into firmware update mode, has anything changed?

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:39 pm

Worn out buttons?

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:10 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:39 pm
Worn out buttons?
Black works perfectly, blue requires a firmer push, always has, but it's working perfectly fine for showing Last Heard, works 100% of the time when using the radio. But booting into firmware update mode right now is maybe 1 of 10 times.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:30 am

kt4lh wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:10 pm
VK3KYY wrote:
Worn out buttons?
Black works perfectly, blue requires a firmer push, always has, but it's working perfectly fine for showing Last Heard, works 100% of the time when using the radio. But booting into firmware update mode right now is maybe 1 of 10 times.
Thats strange

Possibly a bug in the official bootloader. Perhaps they don't enabled the internal pullup or pulldown resistor on pin attached to that button

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:56 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:30 am
kt4lh wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 2:10 pm
VK3KYY wrote:
Worn out buttons?
Thats strange

Possibly a bug in the official bootloader. Perhaps they don't enabled the internal pullup or pulldown resistor on pin attached to that button
I guess it's just me since nobody else has chimed in, which I suppose leads to an issue with just my radio which is a bummer. Hopefully it doesn't get worse, as right now I can eventually get into it.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:21 am

Yep.

Sound like it a hardware fault on your radio :-(

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:22 pm

Roger,

I'm pondering taking my GD77 apart to see if there's anything I could possibly do to improve my SK2, I know this is a hard soldered little daughterboard with collapsing buttons etc, and I suppose the buttons just have a nub on the inside that pushes against the button. I haven't seen pictures of the rubber side of the buttons themselves.

Anyway, since you've had these things apart a bunch, what would be your hunch on doing anything by opening it up? I was pondering looking to see if maybe the rubber button isn't formed right and I could kludge something there... if the button itself is defective I doubt there is much I could do there.

Both buttons sound exactly the same, so.. I think it's clicking the button okay. It's just not working right on SK2 reliably. I'm kind of fearing there's very little I can here, but... What do you think?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:32 pm

The all the buttons use those cheap bubble dome contacts, so I think it’s the most likely point of failure.

I have never removed and replaced on of those types of contacts.

Taking the radio apart is not that difficult, the only non standard tool needed is a star head screwdriver, for the screws in the battery compartment.

You will need to detach the ribbon cable to the screen, from the main pcb, and also unsoldered the speaker

I don’t think you will need to remove the main PCB from the chassis, but if you have to do that, you will need to unsolder and remove the antenna connector first.

AD7MR

Post by AD7MR » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:47 am

I will chime in here...

Radio off. Press/hold SK1 and SK2, turn radio on. Green light flashes rapidly, then goes out and radio turns on to regular display.
Firmware is currently 4.02.6

Buttons both work fine during normal use.

I inherited the radio. Might this happen if the previous owner did a reset on it (SK1 and #1, power on)?

Help!!!

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:25 am

mdredige wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:47 am
I will chime in here...

Radio off. Press/hold SK1 and SK2, turn radio on. Green light flashes rapidly, then goes out and radio turns on to regular display.
Firmware is currently 4.02.6

Buttons both work fine during normal use.

I inherited the radio. Might this happen if the previous owner did a reset on it (SK1 and #1, power on)?

Help!!!
Firmware version 4.02.6 is an official Radioddity firmware not the OpenGD77 firmware.
However, this sounds like the feature (or bug) in the official firmware which I'm afraid prevents the firmware being updated again, without taking the radio apart and uploading using a hardware programmer connected to pads on the PCB