[Solved] GD-77 CPS reports device not found

K9JPT

[Solved] GD-77 CPS reports device not found

Post by K9JPT » Mon May 18, 2020 6:01 am

Hello!

I recently had a GD-77 replaced by Radioddity. I want to flash my old codeplug to the replacement radio but the CPS reports 'no device found'.

The GD-77 is found in device manager and everything is ok. The USB cable is in working order and not defective.

I cannot read nor write to the GD-77 and in both cases it's reported 'no device found'.

Anyone have a clue how I can make the CPS find the HT?

Thank you,

K9JPT

PS. I want to get this working before attempting to try OPEN GD77.

VK3KYY

Re: GD-77 CPS reports device not found

Post by VK3KYY » Mon May 18, 2020 9:18 pm

Are you using the official CPS to match the official firmware?

K9JPT

Post by K9JPT » Wed May 20, 2020 12:13 am

Sorry for late reply. Issue has been resolved!

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Thu May 21, 2020 11:24 am

k9jpt@tengstrom.us wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 12:13 am
Sorry for late reply. Issue has been resolved!
Always good etiquette to tell what you did to solve the issue in case someone later finds themselves in the same situation. Even if it was user error, it might help someone out. :)

K9JPT

Re: [Solved] GD-77 CPS reports device not found

Post by K9JPT » Thu May 21, 2020 12:24 pm

Sure it is! Agreed! But if the solution was as simple as replacing the Baofeng with the Radioddity cable you just may not want the whole world to know about your stupid mistake :)

kd2lh

Post by kd2lh » Thu May 21, 2020 1:07 pm

Common mistakes are not particularly unintelligent, but instead rather common.

I've regularly made trivial errors - but everybody else does too. Recovering from those errors is how we learn.

If you ask me, the fault here is the different "brands" that require unique radio accessories be implemented by their contract manufacturers so that they can "differentiate" their products with trivial changes like reversing the polarity of USB connections on cables that are otherwise interchangeable.

They also have done things like design the charger to 12VDC power supply connection with the same USB connection that normally carries 5VDC, thus ensuring that someone, somewhere will accidentally plug their unique 12VDC charger into a device that will be damaged. Why?

So, a forum like this helps everyone avoid the same mistakes because it has a "search" capability that is easy to use.

You have not exposed your error by describing what happened, you have contributed to the open knowledge base. You are a participant in the project. Go away cryptically like a sphinx, and you miss a valuable opportunity. In fact, packing up and going away in silence is on par with the manufacturers that make errors easy.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu May 21, 2020 9:33 pm

This is a common mistake.

The difference between the TYT and Baofeng cable types is that the USB data lines (D+ and D-), are swapped.

There is no technical reason for his, it’s purely a marketing / money making ploy, because the manufacturers were deliberately selling radios without cables and then charging a lot for their cable, because they knew you could not use your existing cable.

I can remember if it was Baofeng or TYT who was doing this for a while, probably Baofeng as they are in the cheaper end of the market and need to recoup their lower costs using these sorts of tactics

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Sat May 23, 2020 1:59 pm

k9jpt@tengstrom.us wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:24 pm
Sure it is! Agreed! But if the solution was as simple as replacing the Baofeng with the Radioddity cable you just may not want the whole world to know about your stupid mistake :)
Ah man we've all done that.. Look down, see the two pronged cable plugged in, try to use it.

K9JPT

Post by K9JPT » Wed May 27, 2020 12:46 am

I should have checked what I bought! I got a used GD77 from a guy and simply took the cable as being for the radio. When the mistake was realized the swap took place.

AA0NI

Post by AA0NI » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:35 am

This solved my problem - thanks all
Accidentally tried using my TYT cable instead of my Radioddity cable for the openGD77, and - as expected - unknown driver issue.