Side project, "DMR Station" network radio

MM6NRK

Re: Side project, "DMR Station" network radio

Post by MM6NRK » Tue May 19, 2020 1:56 pm

ea3ihi wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:15 pm
It is a general topic related to how the X windows system works and not specific to the application.

As stated in the instructios try using

Code: Select all

DISPLAY=:0 ./DMRstation
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ DISPLAY=:0 ./DMRstation
-bash: ./DMRstation: No such file or directory

ea3ihi

Post by ea3ihi » Tue May 19, 2020 2:09 pm

Assertion 's' failed at pulse/stream.c:1483, function pa_stream_write_ext_free() . Aborting.
That has to do with the audio layer. Are you running DMRStation as the same user that logs in in the system by default?

David

MM6NRK

Post by MM6NRK » Tue May 19, 2020 2:41 pm

ea3ihi wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:09 pm

Assertion 's' failed at pulse/stream.c:1483, function pa_stream_write_ext_free() . Aborting.
That has to do with the audio layer. Are you running DMRStation as the same user that logs in in the system by default?

David
DMRStation is Installed in Opt and autostart is in home/pi/.config/autostart . do i need to log as root user or someing ?

ea3ihi

Post by ea3ihi » Tue May 19, 2020 2:45 pm

Usually the pi user is fine, but I am not sure why there is a problem with the pulse audio layer. When starting the application from a terminal the best option is to open a terminal from the graphical user interface, vs opening a new ssh session.

MM6NRK

Post by MM6NRK » Tue May 19, 2020 3:46 pm

ea3ihi wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:45 pm
Usually the pi user is fine, but I am not sure why there is a problem with the pulse audio layer. When starting the application from a terminal the best option is to open a terminal from the graphical user interface, vs opening a new ssh session.
Logged in to my pi as root and its still doing the same .I see everything is connected and i see the PTT button as well then after 10 secs i cant see box any more . When i turn of selfcare password its fine but then im not connected .

Going to try again and install as root user . Its a pitty as was looking forward to working this and been pulling my hair out as last week now .

Im useing a 3.5 LCD and do i need sound card or just use the jack out put ?

ea3ihi

Post by ea3ihi » Tue May 19, 2020 4:02 pm

You need a sound card that allows input and output. The rpi jack only has audio output but no input. One option that works well is a USB headset with mic.

Your problem is related to permissions to use the pulse audio services. In your case probably running the application as root does not help if the pulse audio server is being run as the rpi user.

I suspect that when you receive audio (or if you press the ptt) the application crashes because the audio layer is not ready. Run "pactl info" from the terminal before running start.sh to see if the audio card is ready or on the contrary you get some connection error.

What linux distribution (and version) are you using?

I am sorry that you are pulling your head to get it running. I am trying to learn from the problems reported to improve the instructions so the DMRStation application is more accessible to everyone and not only to experienced Linux users.

Maybe
David

MM6NRK

Post by MM6NRK » Tue May 19, 2020 4:43 pm

ea3ihi wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:02 pm
You need a sound card that allows input and output. The rpi jack only has audio output but no input. One option that works well is a USB headset with mic.

Your problem is related to permissions to use the pulse audio services. In your case probably running the application as root does not help if the pulse audio server is being run as the rpi user.

I suspect that when you receive audio (or if you press the ptt) the application crashes because the audio layer is not ready. Run "pactl info" from the terminal before running start.sh to see if the audio card is ready or on the contrary you get some connection error.

What linux distribution (and version) are you using?

I am sorry that you are pulling your head to get it running. I am trying to learn from the problems reported to improve the instructions so the DMRStation application is more accessible to everyone and not only to experienced Linux users.

Maybe
David
I have used raspbian buster and wheezy and both the same . Is there any other linux distribution i could use other than raspbian ?

ea3ihi

Post by ea3ihi » Tue May 19, 2020 4:52 pm

Raspbian Buster is the one i use for testing with no issues on a pi 3b.

What was the result of running "pactl info"? can you connect to the pulse audio server?

MM6NRK

Post by MM6NRK » Tue May 19, 2020 4:57 pm

ea3ihi wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:52 pm

What was the result of running "pactl info"? can you connect to the pulse audio server?
root@raspberrypi:~# pactl info
Connection failure: Connection refused
pa_context_connect() failed: Connection refused

MM6NRK

Post by MM6NRK » Tue May 19, 2020 5:03 pm

ea3ihi wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:52 pm

I have a pi 3b as well . Do you think you could upload a back up of your working img and take your dmr info out so i could burn it on my card ?