Upgrade firmware via hotspot

F1RMB

Re: Upgrade firmware via hotspot

Post by F1RMB » Fri Apr 24, 2020 3:55 am

Hi,
jobdone wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:43 pm
I've just installed the python update script onto pi-star (ssh'd in and changed to r/w with 'rpi-rw'). I needed to apt install python-usb. and I had to rename the gdl file to the one required by the script (I think the script needs editing...) (oh and I ran sudo chmod +x on the script), placed the 77 into flash mode and ran 'sudo python ./gd-77_firmware_loader.py' and it went without a hitch!!
edit: found the filename in the main part of the script and changed that to OpenGD77.sgl
edit: also wget is installed on pi-star so you should be able to wget the sgl file...
edit : wget needs to use the -q switch and only allows you to wget from the github , not the forum. USB transfer is another option...
Okay.

Since you ran the script as a python command line argument, you don't need to set the execute flag (BTW, if you clone the source repository, the flag is already set)
I don't know from where you got the script, but the latest version is already able to download from the release Github page, and there is a command line argument for that, as few other like the file you want to flash:

Code: Select all

$ ./gd-77_firmware_loader.py --help
Usage:
       gd-77_firmware_loader.py [OPTION]

-h, --help                     : Display this help text
    -f, --firmware=<filename.sgl>  : Flash <filename.sgl> instead of default file "firmware.sgl"
    -m, --model=<type>             : Select transceiver model. Models are: GD-77, GD-77S, DM-1801, DM-5R.
    -d, --download                 : Download firmware from the project website

Cheers.
---
Daniel