Pre-release 9th April

VK3KYY

Re: Pre-release 9th April

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:08 pm

W1AEX wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:39 pm
Roger,

Thanks for the April 9 release. Installed it on both of my GD77 radios but unfortunately they both still exhibit the squelch sputtering issue that appeared with the April 4 release. It occurs with FM and FMN when scanning or even monitoring a single frequency. Note that the problem is present even on channels with a programmed RX tone and the busy light does not flash as the squelch sputtering occurs. Also, manually adjusting the squelch to maximum does not stop the issue. No problem with the March 22 and all earlier releases.

73, Rob W1AEX
Rob.

Ok.

I will need to try to replicate the problem

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:43 pm

Rob

I cant replicate this problem.

There is a local Morse code practice broadcast on 145.650 FM, which is about S7 for me, and its coming though loud and clear.
If I partially remove the antenna I can reduce the signal to S1 and I have open the squelch to continue to hear it.
Or I can wind up the squelch even with the S7 signal until it mutes.

Is there something else i need to do to replicate the problem you are having ?

W1AEX

Post by W1AEX » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:41 pm

Hi Roger,

It doesn't seem to happen on all VHF and UHF frequencies. In the VHF public service band here, both of my radios will exhibit the sputtering squelch on the local police frequency of 155.610 MHz. Also, in the UHF public service band the EMS dispatch frequencies of 462.950 MHz and 462.975 will sputter on both radios. It does not seem to exhibit the problem on the marine band though. There are lots of others that sputter but hopefully, those will give you a sample of what it's doing. If your radio also does this, just monitoring any one of those three frequencies will demonstrate the issue. I made a short YouTube video of the problem as appears on both of my radios here:

youtu.be/ngm4KMrZP84

Thanks for looking,

Rob W1AEX

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:16 am

Hi Rob,

Unfortunately at the moment, because of the COVID19 lockdown, there seems to be no traffic on the marine channels at all.

Usually there is are a lot of private boats and also shipping, but nothing today at all.

It is also Easter Friday here, so I guess there is less port traffic with tugs etc.

W1AEX

Post by W1AEX » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:33 am

Same here Roger. The marine band is dead and in fact I have not seen any private craft offshore at all. Not sure what the summer up here will bring but I am hopeful that things will start returning to normal in the coming months.

I just spotted your email from earlier. Are you able to replicate what is happening in the video? The zone that is being scanned there has those three sputtering frequencies installed in it, using FMN mode, along with other public service frequencies. It's a little confusing because when the noise occurs, the scan does not stop and the busy light on top does not flash. It sounds like the squelch is breaking on a weak signal but there is nothing there. If I remove the antenna the behavior is the same so it is not a signal that is coming in through the normal RF path. It's a strange one but the condition is only present in the last two pre-releases.

73, Rob

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:41 am

Hi Rob

I can see whats going on the in video.

Have you checked whether you have any QRM. I have seen the S meter jump around whilst scanning, but the scan does not stop, because the duration of the signal is too short (as its a burst of QRM), and hence the scan continues.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:39 am

I've made one minor change to the VFO scan, so that the Up arrow needs a Long Press to both enter VFO scan mode and also to start the scan when in scan mode.

Short press of the Up now always performs the normal action of stepping upwards , one step.
Short press on Down remains the same (steps downwards)
Long press on Down remains the same , (exits scan mode)

Edit.

I've just realised that the SGL file is from the combined DM-5R/GD-77 source branch, in GD-77 mode.

But AFIK the GD-77 functionality is identical to the Master source code version
Attachments

[The extension sgl has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

SQ7PTE

Post by SQ7PTE » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:14 am

W1AEX wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:41 pm
Hi Roger,

It doesn't seem to happen on all VHF and UHF frequencies. In the VHF public service band here, both of my radios will exhibit the sputtering squelch on the local police frequency of 155.610 MHz. Also, in the UHF public service band the EMS dispatch frequencies of 462.950 MHz and 462.975 will sputter on both radios. It does not seem to exhibit the problem on the marine band though. There are lots of others that sputter but hopefully, those will give you a sample of what it's doing. If your radio also does this, just monitoring any one of those three frequencies will demonstrate the issue. I made a short YouTube video of the problem as appears on both of my radios here:

youtu.be/ngm4KMrZP84

Thanks for looking,

Rob W1AEX
The same effect is with me (on my radio)
This happens when I set the frequency from CTCSS

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:17 am

SQ7PTE wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:14 am
The same effect is with me (on my radio)
This happens when I set the frequency from CTCSS
Do you mean if a channel has CTCSS ?

Or all channels ?

I wonder if this is something to do with the amplifier control changes.

Colin made a change to this recently, which may have been related to CTCSS. I'd need to check

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:19 am

This does look like a possible candidate for the problem

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... 72a0214e9f