Port to TYT UV380/UV390

VK3KYY

Re: Port to TYT UV380/UV390

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:31 pm

Has the encryption been hacked yet ?

i.e Does it use the same sort of encryption as the MD-380 etc, which were hacked by Travis a few years ago?

ZL1GW

Post by ZL1GW » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:35 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:31 pm
Has the encryption been hacked yet ?

i.e Does it use the same sort of encryption as the MD-380 etc, which were hacked by Travis a few years ago?
That part I'm not 100% sure of. Though I can experiment. I suspect because there are so many similarities, and the re-use of the UI board, etc... That the encryption is at least "compatible" (ie: of equal strength, and similar protocol, maybe just with rolled keys so easy to crack).

I've been planning on doing some testing with the tools from Travis to see if I can get anything useful. Unfortunately I am being careful to be "non-destructive" for now, to avoid bricking my only usable HT until the DM1801 shows up (which could be a while under the circumstances).

If you have any suggestions for specific things I should check/test I'm happy to do so in the meantime.
73, ZL1GW

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:05 pm

Is the Retrovis RT-3S the same radio ?

ZL1GW

Post by ZL1GW » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:16 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:05 pm
It does appear that the RT-3S is a clone/re-package of the UV380. Not 100% sure of this though as I don't have one, and can't find a teardown to confirm. But based on info I've been able to find it does appear they are the same radio.
73, ZL1GW

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:25 pm

ZL1GW wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:16 pm
VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:05 pm
It does appear that the RT-3S is a clone/re-package of the UV380. Not 100% sure of this though as I don't have one, and can't find a teardown to confirm. But based on info I've been able to find it does appear they are the same radio.
OK.

I think I can buy a RT-3S from someone locally in Melbourne, but getting hold of one from overseas isn't possible at the moment.

I'm happy to take virtually anything apart, and I can usually get it back together.

I know Angelo was trying to get some RT-3S samples from Retrovis, but I guess the COVID-19 pandeminc has put pay to that.

BTW.
There is a OpenGD77 TG 98977, which I try to monitor, but I don't listen all the time as I have to get on with the day job, even though I'm work from home.
I always work from home, as I'm self employed, so the COVID-19 has not changed my work very much so far. Except my clients are now being sent home, and their computer systems seem to be getting overloaded with everyone who is normally in the office , trying to work from home.

ZL1GW

Post by ZL1GW » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:23 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:25 pm
I think I can buy a RT-3S from someone locally in Melbourne, but getting hold of one from overseas isn't possible at the moment.

I'm happy to take virtually anything apart, and I can usually get it back together.
Excellent! That would certainly speed things along. I'm normally happy to do the same (tear things down, confident I can get them together) but right now until I've got a backup radio, not worth the risk. Once I have that, all bets are off ;)

Anyway, if you can get an RT3S locally, that is a good option. You can crack it open and check it against the teardown pics of the UV380 at https://hvdnnotebook.blogspot.com/2018/ ... uv380.html for example, (and their part2)

To verify if it's indeed the same radio or not.

Then if you can validate some of the basics, I can certainly help with the code side of things, and so on. As I said once I have a secondary radio, I can get a bit more hands-dirty as well, but for now trying to play things safe under the current COVID situation.

Thanks!
73, ZL1GW

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:30 pm

I'm not actually sure I can get hold of a RT-3S, I'll need to wait until the local Ham who sells them, pops up on DMR, and then ask him if he's still got any, and what price he's charging today.
If he's hiked the price, I won't bother.

BTW.
Lots of things are getting very expensive here.

Fresh food has doubled in price in the last 3 weeks. The government say they are not allowing people to make big profits out of the crisis but its all talk.

The bean counters are in charge here.

ZL1GW

Post by ZL1GW » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:44 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:30 pm
I'm not actually sure I can get hold of a RT-3S, I'll need to wait until the local Ham who sells them, pops up on DMR, and then ask him if he's still got any, and what price he's charging today.
If he's hiked the price, I won't bother.
All good, I don't expect you to go out and spend a pile to do this, I wasn't expecting you to offer to grab one either way! :) But if you can get one, that would be awesome.
VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:30 pm
BTW.
Lots of things are getting very expensive here.

Fresh food has doubled in price in the last 3 weeks. The government say they are not allowing people to make big profits out of the crisis but its all talk.

The bean counters are in charge here.
Things aren't that bad here yet. We're in full lockdown for 4 weeks in NZ, and the government seems to be taking it very seriously here. My Wife and I stay quite prepared most of the time, so we had plenty of food, and supplies, so when this happened we went out and grabbed the few things we needed to fill in the gaps, and we should be good for nearly a month on what we have (longer if need be). We've heard the panic buying has slowed down now, but haven't left the house in a bit... So in a week or so we'll likely try to to a bit of a resupply to avoid running our stockpiles too low. And see how that goes.

I am expecting things to get worse though, The economic impact is huge, people are losing their jobs, etc. I'm lucky to have a good employer, and we do IT consulting for all the top companies here (many of which are still "critical" businesses) so while we're impacted for sure, I'm fairly certain my job is secure, and I can easily work from home. But with the impact on everyone being so high, I wouldn't be surprised if things "devolve" a bit further from here...

The PM has put us into state of national emergency, and with the lockdown comes essentially the closest thing NZ law allows for to "Martial Law". The police are out in full force, military and civil defense are assisting them. They are fairly strictly enforcing the lockdown.

Be safe.
73, ZL1GW

ZL1GW

Post by ZL1GW » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:12 am

Digging in the code for the custom DFU tool in https://github.com/travisgoodspeed/md380tools

Looks like the crypto stuff for wrapping/unwrapping the firmware uses a key that was reverse engineered from the RT-82 by KG5RKI

Looks like that key is used for the RT-82, MD380, MD390, MD-9600, MD-2017, etc... So I'm hoping the key is just re-used by TYT on all kinds of stuff...

Will try dumping the bootloader from my UV390 using those tools in a bit. And will attempt to unwrap/wrap some official UV380/390 firmware to see if the crypto works...
73, ZL1GW

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:22 am

I had a feeling that the crypto may be basically the same, but I don't know where I read that.

Re: COVID-19

Only very minor closures here, just restaurants, cafe's, bars, sports venus etc

Still loads of people out an about ignoring the warnings. I get the distinct impression that anyone younger than 30 seems think they are totally immune and car carry on as if nothing different is happening.

I think we're shortly going to loose a complete older generation, as some of the are still out and about ignoring the warnings as well.

Going out is quite stressful for us, because no one else seems to be taking this seriously and we're constantly having to cross the street to avoid people.

I think we may go into voluntary lockdown for at least a week, perhaps 2, until things get better or things get worse and the bean counters decided to do something about the spiraling human cost.