Update 8th March (Both GD-77 and DM-1801)

VK3KYY

Update 8th March (Both GD-77 and DM-1801)

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:23 am

There is a new update available for both the GD-77 and DM-1801
Going forward, I intend to release updates for the GD-77 and the DM-1801, as the codebase is 99.9% the same.

As usual you can download the latest GD-77 version from
https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... latest.sgl

and the latest Baofeng DM-1801 version from
https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... latest.sgl

Changes in this version are as follows
  • Improved power accuracy on power settings below 1W, especially on the DM-1801.
    I've added separate fractional power settings for the VHF and UHF bands, for the power levels below 1W, and I've corrected the power 50mW power setting VHF on the GD-77 which was previously outputting around 250mW.
    This change fixed a much bigger problem with the lower power settings on the DM-1801, as the RF PA hardware in the DM-1801 has a difference response curve of PA drive voltage versus output power, than the GD-77. (Probably because the PA FETs in the DM-1801 are different from the ones used in the GD-77)
  • Fixed a problem on the DM-1801 / DM-860 because the calibration table bytes do not seem to be consistent on the Baofeng, where only the first 2 bytes seem to be common across all radios.
  • Reinstate missing Tone scan function, in FM mode on the VFO screen. Note in DMR mode, this menu option shows "Tone scan N/A" as it is not applicable in DMR mode, and I don't have time to re-write the Quick menu system to handle having different options on FM and DMR.
    CC Scan is still removed because its been superseded by the CC filter disabling system
  • Change the Channel Details screen so that for Channels, (but not the VFO, as this is a special sort of Channel), the changes made on that screen to not get written back to the codeplug when you press the Green button.
    Pressing the Green button makes a temporary change which will be lost as soon as you change channel or reboot the radio.
    To make a change to a Channel permanent, you have to press Function + Green when on the Channel Details screen.
    Note. This was the original functionality, but over time this seems to have been removed, and its removal was causing problems with the CC value, found when CC filtering is disabled, was accidentally being written by to the codeplug by some people.
  • Italian, German and Finnish language translation updates, for the Sound Options, have also been included in this version.
  • The firmware info screen on the Baofeng DM-1801 shows the firmware as OpenDM1801
Note.
There are still problems with the CC locking algorithm, when CC filtering is disabled, which make it not work well on Simplex.

I am working on a fix for this, but in the mean time, if the radio is unable to lock onto a simplex DMR signal and find the CC, change frequency off and back onto the same freq and try again, as this resets the Historgram data.

m1dyp

Re: Update 8th March (Both GD-77 and DM-1801)

Post by m1dyp » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:14 am

thank you

DU2XXR

Post by DU2XXR » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:41 am

Thanks for the update, Roger. Trying this out.

It's the 8th of March, by the way.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:53 am

4I1RAC wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:41 am
It's the 8th of March, by the way.
D'oh!

Thanks.

I've changed the post name now.

f6fzo

Post by f6fzo » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:42 am

Merci :mrgreen:

DO9ULI

Post by DO9ULI » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:58 pm

Hello Roger,
since I was not at home for 3 days, I was very happy about the new update.
Unfortunately, the joy was short-lived.
After flashing a restart. The device (OpenGD77) remains dark and displays "Flash MEM ERROR". Can you please help me how to get my device fit again? It was the first time that an error occurred.

Thanks and best regards
Uli

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:11 pm

DO9ULI wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:58 pm
Hello Roger,
since I was not at home for 3 days, I was very happy about the new update.
Unfortunately, the joy was short-lived.
After flashing a restart. The device (OpenGD77) remains dark and displays "Flash MEM ERROR". Can you please help me how to get my device fit again? It was the first time that an error occurred.

Thanks and best regards
Uli
OK. This seems to be a common problem. Its caused because your calibration data header is incorrect.

Revert to the previous version. In the CPS backup the Flash.

Look at memory addresses 0x8F000 and they should contain these values

0xA0 ,0x0F ,0xC0 ,0x12 ,0xA0 ,0x0F ,0xC0 ,0x12

See also http://members.optuszoo.com.au/jason.re ... 77tune.htm which lists the critical values in the calibration data for the official firmware.

I use HXD https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/ to edit the flash files etc and change those bytes, then restore the flash into the radio.

If you can't do that, let me know and I will email you