Update 6th March Version 2

VK3KYY

Re: Update 6th March Version 2

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:31 am

The file is smaller because I enabled compression in the installer

In the previous version, I had to disable compression, so that my antivirus did delete it as a virus, but in this version, I was able to turn on ZIP compression, and the antivirus is happy with this.

The antivirus stuff is a lottery. Any time i make a minor change, to something like the Flash address of the calibration data, or the text on a button etc, can make the difference between a virus warning or not.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:00 am

KU4ZD wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:02 am
I tried up update, I downloaded the updated CPS and this firmware. After updating the firmware I have a message on my screen that says '`Flash Mem Error" with the radio on or off and I can not load anything or get rid of the error message nor do anything at this point? any ideas?
Mike

I think I know whats wrong.

Your radio probably had invalid calibration data, which would also explain why its never worked that well

I'll email you, so that you can backup your Flash memory and email it to me

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:41 am

VK3KYY,

You might have missed my question earlier, lower priority than you helping out KU4ZD for sure, but is there a reason why my Unlink (4000, Private) contact has seemingly disappeared from everywhere except in the CPS Digital Contacts? It's not in the CPS TG Lists that it used to be, not in the radio's talk groups anymore, etc. I can't even add it to a TG List. It's like Private contacts are being filtered.

I could likely just change this to 4000 Group, that works on the hotspot, but I was pretty sure that 4000 Private is the appropriate contact for disconnecting on Brandmeister. I do work a repeater sometimes, but not super often since it's a little fringe for me at the house.

Thanks!

m1dyp

Post by m1dyp » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:17 am

my pc's have only ever been in the digital contacts, to access them, i press # # # then use down arrow to highlight the one i want (4000, 4400, 9990 etc) then i press green to enter it and then ptt to send it, once the response has been received, i press the right arrow to return to the talkgroup.

hope this helps

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:36 am

m1dyp wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:17 am
my pc's have only ever been in the digital contacts, to access them, i press # # # then use down arrow to highlight the one i want (4000, 4400, 9990 etc) then i press green to enter it and then ptt to send it, once the response has been received, i press the right arrow to return to the talkgroup.

hope this helps
No, this is certainly new. I haven't updated the GD77 in a few weeks, been busy, but it's always been in my TG List. It was always the last position so I could get back to it to unlink again, etc.

https://imgur.com/a/groBZ2O New CPS on the left, but if I load my previous codeplug, you can see on the right that Unlink is in it. Something has changed.

KV0A

Post by KV0A » Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:11 am

Installed and everything is working fine for me so far!

OH7FES

Post by OH7FES » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:32 am

W1AEX wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:20 pm
Hi Roger,

I installed the 3_6_2020 firmware release with the new CPS into one of my GD-77 radios and it went in fine. Before this version, I could hear a very soft digital noise in the background during the playback when doing a Parrot check. I don't hear a trace of that with this version so perhaps it's related to the change in the PWM frequency utilized by the backlight?

Thanks for the update, it's working fine here!
73, Rob W1AEX
Hello

I have had a new GD77 for a week now. I installed the newest openGD77 firmware and CPS program. Everything fine.

I had this problem already with the old firmware, digital noise during TX. I have been testing with Parrot with plain carrier, it is easy to notice with Parrot.

My own notices: Screen brightness is the main thing. If it is 100%, digital noise is heard. Noise disappears when I set it to less than 10%.

Noise goes up as the brightness % goes up.

There is no background noise when Mode: None in Display options (no light on the display).

The noise is detectable in the VU meter bar in the top left of the display when I press PTT = TX. The greater the disdplay brightness, the greater the background noise and the higher the VU bar. Of course the VU meter background noise disappears when display options Mode:None.
Mic gain has something to do with the noise too. Sound options, DMR mic:0dB
Mic gain 12dB: background noise is higher.
mic gain -18dB: background noise disappears, even though display brightness is 20%.
Background noise is seen in VU meter when you change DMR mic setting when there is light on display. The greater mic gain, the higher the background noise.

Best wishes, 73,
OH7FES Ari

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:34 am

OH7FES wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:32 am
I had this problem already with the old firmware, digital noise during TX. I have been testing with Parrot with plain carrier, it is easy to notice with Parrot.

My own notices: Screen brightness is the main thing. If it is 100%, digital noise is heard. Noise disappears when I set it to less than 10%.

Noise goes up as the brightness % goes up.

There is no background noise when Mode: None in Display options (no light on the display).

The noise is detectable in the VU meter bar in the top left of the display when I press PTT = TX. The greater the disdplay brightness, the greater the background noise and the higher the VU bar. Of course the VU meter background noise disappears when display options Mode:None.
Mic gain has something to do with the noise too. Sound options, DMR mic:0dB
Mic gain 12dB: background noise is higher.
mic gain -18dB: background noise disappears, even though display brightness is 20%.
Background noise is seen in VU meter when you change DMR mic setting when there is light on display. The greater mic gain, the higher the background noise.

Best wishes, 73,
OH7FES Ari
Interesting.

I only noticed this on the Baofeng DM-1801.

I could try changing the PWM frequency on the backlight LEDs to something much higher e.g. 100kHz

m1dyp

Post by m1dyp » Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:58 am

kt4lh wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:36 am

No, this is certainly new. I haven't updated the GD77 in a few weeks, been busy, but it's always been in my TG List. It was always the last position so I could get back to it to unlink again, etc.

https://imgur.com/a/groBZ2O New CPS on the left, but if I load my previous codeplug, you can see on the right that Unlink is in it. Something has changed.
hmm, interesting, never had that but i see what you mean

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:03 am

m1dyp wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:58 am
kt4lh wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:36 am

hmm, interesting, never had that but i see what you mean
I've never heard it either, on the GD-77.

This problem sounds a bit like the problem with the background hiss when the signal has ended. I've never noticed that either, but it seems to be a big problem for some people.

So the only explanation I can think of, is that some GD-77 have higher gain audio amps in them.