Reverse on repeaters

EB3AM

Reverse on repeaters

Post by EB3AM » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:34 pm

Could a quick way to reverse duplex frequencies be enabled? It is something that I miss in many modern receivers.
The idea is to be able to hear the frequency of the repeater's input during the transmission of the correspondent, but not to change the two frequencies permanently.

Can it be there? I did not know how to find it.

73, Jordi, Catalonia
Jordi, EB3AM, Talarn JN02ke, Catalonia.

Radios: OpenGD77 RadioDitty
Repeaters: MMDVM with a Standard RP80-U (DMR + FM)

F1RMB

Re: Reverse on repeaters

Post by F1RMB » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:38 pm

Hi,
EB3AM wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:34 pm
Could a quick way to reverse duplex frequencies be enabled? It is something that I miss in many modern receivers.

Can it be there? I did not know how to find it.

73, Jordi, Catalonia
In VFO mode, press the orange button and select "Tx <--> Rx"

Cheers.
---
Daniel
73 de Daniel.

EB3AM

Post by EB3AM » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:41 pm

Yes, I have already seen this option, but it only works in VFO and not in channels, in addition, the idea is to be able to listen to the frequency of entry of the repeater during the transmission of the correspondent, but not to change the two frequencies permanently.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:43 pm

The VFO has a feature to swap Tx and Rx freqs but not the Channel screen

However just swapping freqs does not allow the radio to listen on the input of the repeater or for you to bypass the repeater, because the Rx function is different in Simplex because the TimeCode ( TS number ) is only set by repeaters, and if the Tx and Rx freqs are different the firmware assumes that you are communicating with a repeater and that signal you receive will contain a TimeCode.
Hence the Rx from the input of the repeater will not work correctly

Workaround, is a special mode where the radio needs to be configured differently

Do you mean Workaround or simply swapping the frequencies?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:44 pm

Ah..

In your follow up post I see you mean Workaround

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:46 pm

I think Workaround mode just changes the Rx to the input of the repeater and leaves the Tx also on the input to the repeater, hence the radio is put into Simolex mode and you can then receive the signal from the other station, as in Simolex mode the TimeCode is not sent or needed

EB3AM

Post by EB3AM » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:59 pm

Yes, I really thought about analog systems. I understand that it is more complicated in dmr. Here we still have many analog relays, and it is common to want to know if a user is listening directly.
If it can be done in DMR too, it would be great.

Thanks!

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:07 pm

Ah OK.

Analog is easy. DMR is more difficult.

This is a function we should add, but normally its activated by pressing and holding a button (that is assigned in the CPS)

But we are already using all the buttons, during Rx, perhaps except the Orange button. But I think it would be confusing to use the Orange button for this.

I guess perhaps we could have it as an option that can be enabled via the orange button.
And perhaps we can change the text of TSx to REV for reverse (I know this is not good for translation)

Or change the DMR to "RMD" HiHi ;0) ;-)

Or on Analog, I think there is space on the right side of the display where the CC is displayed, and we could put something.

Or perhaps put the "FM" in inverse video

Actually we have a general problem with translating this type of feature, because the manual is only in English and if we translate these sorts of acronyms, it makes it impossible for the manual to be auto translated into any other language.

One thing I also don't know, in the official firmware, whether Workaround works when there both TS1 and TS2 are in use on the repeater and you can hear bot the stations on the input to the repeater.

BTW. The technical name in the DMR spec for the repeater is a BaseStation (BS) and the other radios are called MobileStation (MS)

Anyway. So if 2 MS are transmitting on different TS, they do not transmit the TimeCode (TS nunber), only the BS (repeater) sends the TmeCode.

So I don't know how the firmware could allow selection of which MS to listen to.

Perhaps if the C6000 DMR chip is not reset when changing to Workaround, then its internal TS synchronisation would remain running and perhaps you would hear the BS on the current TS.

Testing this is complicated as it needs at least 3 radios and probably 2 other people

EB3AM

Post by EB3AM » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:26 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:07 pm

Actually we have a general problem with translating this type of feature, because the manual is only in English and if we translate these sorts of acronyms, it makes it impossible for the manual to be auto translated into any other language.

I wouldn't worry about acronyms. We have always seen them in English. In fact, I don't think there is any MS that speaks another language (except Chinese).
The menu is different, but there are more possibilities.
VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:07 pm
I guess perhaps we could have it as an option that can be enabled via the orange button.
And perhaps we can change the text of TSx to REV for reverse (I know this is not good for translation)
REV is perfect.

You still have the ability to press the orange button for a long time :mrgreen:

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:33 pm

EB3AM wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:26 pm
You still have the ability to press the orange button for a long time :mrgreen:
I'm not sure the long press on those buttons works. I think Alex had some problems when he added long press of the "Buttons" (the other buttons are know as "keys" and are treated differently)