Documentation To-Do

DU2XXR

Documentation To-Do

Post by DU2XXR » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:54 am

It's been a while since I made major contributions to the documentation. I hope I have not lost track of the latest changes and developments (that was mid-December).

I've setup a WiKi on Github to keep track of the things I need to address in the documentation. Please remind me if I've forgotten some -- either on GitHub or here.

https://github.com/jangelor/OpenGD77/wi ... ation-ToDo

Developments are quite quick, and documentation can't catch up (kudos to the team for that!). :)

VK3KYY

Re: Documentation To-Do

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:29 am

I think some features that are currently in the radio like Function + 1 = Scan, should not be documented yet, because they are not the final functionality.

Also, for the VFO scan, I think at the moment the user interface , where you must set the Low and High frequencies, probably needs to be improved, e.g. because its not possible to see the Low and High frequency.

However the Hotspot changes I think now stable.

DU2XXR

Post by DU2XXR » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:27 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:29 am
I think some features that are currently in the radio like Function + 1 = Scan, should not be documented yet, because they are not the final functionality.

Also, for the VFO scan, I think at the moment the user interface , where you must set the Low and High frequencies, probably needs to be improved, e.g. because its not possible to see the Low and High frequency.

However the Hotspot changes I think now stable.
Got it. We should probably have space in the documentation for experimental features or a reference somewhere here in the forum or GitHub that people can check.

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:02 pm

I was just pondering the same thing the other day about the manual being the long-term functionality, things that are likely not changing, but a supplemental document (or section in the user guide) for ephemeral or experimental changes.

OpenGD77 is moving at a fast pace, which is really nice, just in some weeks of switching I've seen some very nice changes. However there are also some changes that conflict with previous ones, such as hotspot activation, and a single place for users to look for current information would be great.

Perhaps part of the PR process should include updating documentation in one of the two places?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:17 pm

The use of SK1 to enable the Hotspot was originally used so that the radio could not accidentally be put into Hotspot mode, because the code was not 100% stable.

However now Daniel has fixed the bugs, it was safe to allow Hotspot mode to be enabled all the time.

I think the only thing which may change, would be the need to select the host type, if BlueDV fixes their differences with MMDVMHost

W0RMT

Post by W0RMT » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:39 am

4I1RAC wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:54 am
It's been a while since I made major contributions to the documentation. I hope I have not lost track of the latest changes and developments (that was mid-December).

I've setup a WiKi on Github to keep track of the things I need to address in the documentation. Please remind me if I've forgotten some -- either on GitHub or here.

https://github.com/jangelor/OpenGD77/wi ... ation-ToDo

Developments are quite quick, and documentation can't catch up (kudos to the team for that!). :)
Good idea!

DU2XXR

Post by DU2XXR » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:38 am

Perhaps we can link from the main document (MD and PDF) to a place here on the forums, or even a wiki on github, some experimental or other changes, plus links to where they can be found here on the fourm.

W0RMT

Post by W0RMT » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:40 am

4I1RAC wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:38 am
Perhaps we can link from the main document (MD and PDF) to a place here on the forums, or even a wiki on github, some experimental or other changes, plus links to where they can be found here on the fourm.
That's a good idea, Angelo. Perhaps we need a new section or subsection called "Latest Development" in the User Guide to link to the more up-to-date references on the forum and GitHub wiki.