Update 18th Jan

VK3KYY

Update 18th Jan

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:47 pm

Because the experimental version I posted yesterday seems to be OK for most people, I've now updated the 'latest' version on GitHub to be this version + 2 language updates that Daniel and the other contributers sent to be in the last 8 hours

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... latest.sgl

Since the last 'latest' release, apart from my code optimisations there have been a number of other additions and bug fixes.
  • Minimum brightness setting has been added to the Display Options (See the topic for this feature by EA3IHI)
  • Hotspot mode bug fixed by Daniel
  • Private call screen bug fixes by Alex
  • Other bug fixes by Daniel and Alex
  • Language updated from various contributors, often assisted by Daniel
Daniel has also added an interesting new feature in Hotspot mode

By enabling the "CAST" display type in PiStar (Expert mode)
The Hotspot will display information like the IP address, and also the network received callsign.
And on DMR MARC networks, which do not send Talker Alias data, Daniel now sends the callsign using Talker Alias

Note.
CAST display type is not supported by PiStar 3.4.x, but it seems to work OK on PiStar 4.1.x (and may work in PiStar 4.0.x)
The display type is in the Expert settings. But be aware that I think the display type will get set back to "None" if you make subsequent changes in the normal Configuation screen in PiStar

m1dyp

Re: Update 18th Jan

Post by m1dyp » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:10 am

once again, thank you to every involved for your hard work, it really is appreciated.

DO4CZ

Post by DO4CZ » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:07 am

Thank you very much Roger and everyone who worked on it.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:06 am

Hi,

About Pi-Star v3.4.x and CAST driver, I could post a trick to make it working.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:15 am

Hi Daniel,

I think if you are willing to share your modified version of MMDVMHost for PiStar 3.4.x some people may have the technical knowledge to install it.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:43 am

Ok,

So, I've forked Pi-Star a year ago to be able to add fixes and enhancements that would probably be never merged in master version, hence I'm maintaining both 3.4 and 4.x versions, including binaries files.

If you want to have latest MMDVMHost, which have CAST driver builtin, you can use a script I wrote which permits to install my Pi-Star repositories (and also restore to Andy's versions). Here is a stripped down procedure.

First, make a backup of your Pi-Star configuration (Configuration -> Backup/Restore). Now you're safe.

Then, connect your Pi-Star using SSH, and download the script:

Code: Select all

sudo su
rpi-rw
cd
wget http://tinyurl.com/f1rmb-pistar
chmod +x f1rmb-pistar

Now, you can install the binaries, typing:

./f1rmb-pistar -ib
That's it.

If you want to revert to the offical version, just type:

./f1rmb-pistar -rb
The f1rmb-pistar script supports more command line options (see -h or --help).
For the more adventurous, using -ia will install binaries, sbinaries and dashboard.

You can see some screenshots and a non exhaustive list of the extra features on Github

Cheers.
---
Daniel

F1CXG

Post by F1CXG » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:53 am

Let's go :mrgreen:

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:54 am

F1CXG wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:53 am
Let's go :mrgreen:
Cheater, you're using it from the beginning :D ;)

YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:37 am

F1RMB wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:43 am
So, I've forked Pi-Star a year ago to be able to add fixes and enhancements that would probably be never merged in master version, hence I'm maintaining both 3.4 and 4.x versions, including binaries files.
Sooo... What if I use your modification on v4.1.x? :D

I would like to see it, test it and maybe use it, cause of "enhancements" you mentioned, but all my images are v4.1.0-RC7.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:42 am

YT5HOK wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:37 am
F1RMB wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:43 am
Sooo... What if I use your modification on v4.1.x? :D

I would like to see it, test it and maybe use it, cause of "enhancements" you mentioned, but all my images are v4.1.0-RC7.
The only difference between 3.4 and 4.1 is the binaries (as Raspbian version is different). About the dashboard, it's exactly the same.
The script detects which version of Pi-Star you're using, and apply the correct binaries version.

You can grab a 3.4 on the Pi-Star webpage (it's the only stable version), or the 4.1-RC7 (in Beta). Once you've created the SDCard, boot it, follow the instruction above, then call Upgrade till you see you're already running the very last version (as in Pi-Star).

Cheers.