Battery level never changes with idle radio?

kt4lh

Battery level never changes with idle radio?

Post by kt4lh » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:18 am

I've noticed a few times that I've looked at the radio and the battery percent is say 75%, I hit a button or do something (not transmit) and suddenly the radio is at 50%. Just a few ago I noticed the battery had been at 74% for a few hours (I am letting the radio sit on an empty channel just to test something) and it was at 74% the entire time. I hit a button and it flipped to 61%.

Does the battery percentage only update when something happens on the radio? I assume that a call coming in would refresh it, and honestly sitting 100% idle isn't all that common but it could be if someone is on a more quiet talkgroup waiting for a call.

Anyone else noticed, or just me? I'll watch for this closer tomorrow, so far it's mostly been kind of an 'accidental' observation.

kt4lh

Re: Battery level never changes with idle radio?

Post by kt4lh » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:17 pm

Pretty sure this is still an issue (albeit a small one) and I found the old bug in github and added a note there, perhaps that bug should be re-opened. I personally wouldn't consider it high priority but it is quirky to not update when idle.

I've verified that if the radio has not received anything (like it's sitting on an unused frequency) it will never update the battery percent, 100->95 in one button press after about 90 minutes of idle. I'm pretty sure it does update if the channel has activity, however.

F1RMB

Post by F1RMB » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:54 pm

Hi,
kt4lh wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:17 pm
Pretty sure this is still an issue (albeit a small one) and I found the old bug in github and added a note there, perhaps that bug should be re-opened. I personally wouldn't consider it high priority but it is quirky to not update when idle.

I've verified that if the radio has not received anything (like it's sitting on an unused frequency) it will never update the battery percent, 100->95 in one button press after about 90 minutes of idle. I'm pretty sure it does update if the channel has activity, however.
I'm testing a fix for this, it will be part of my next PR.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:14 pm

F1RMB wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:54 pm
I'm testing a fix for this, it will be part of my next PR.
Nice, thank you!