Experimental new feature to display the Last Heard during Tx

IZ2EIB

Re: Experimental new feature to display the Last Heard during Tx

Post by IZ2EIB » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:21 pm

F1RMB wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:37 pm
Also, did you tried to reset all settings by pressing BLUE key and turn on your GD-77 ?
Hi Daniel.
Thanks for the useful hint, indeed pressing the BLUE key while turning on the GD-77 does the trick!
Before doing this the option "Mode: Auto" was missing, there were only "Mode: None" and "Mode: Manual".
To re-enable the missing option, I also had to act randomly even by turning the transceiver off and on again.
In detail, what I noticed is the following:
By pushing the GREEN button I entered the menu and from there I selected the "Display option" item where I chose "Manual".
Once this was done, the backlight was controlled by the side button SK1 (very convenient option!).
Wanting to restore automatic operation, I did the same steps as before but the possible choices were only "Mode: None" and "Mode: Manual", from which always "Timeout: N/A", until by acting randomly on the GD-77 it was shown to me the missing option "Mode: Auto".
Now after pressing the BLUE key and turn on the transceiver the problem has gone away and everything works as expected.
Probably this thing about turning on the GD-77 with the blue button pressed after an update is supposed to be mandatory, but I had missed it, my fault, sorry.
From now on I will not fail to do it every time, thank you Daniel!

73 best regards de Fabio IZ2EIB

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:28 pm

IZ2EIB wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:21 pm
F1RMB wrote:
Also, did you tried to reset all settings by pressing BLUE key and turn on your GD-77 ?
Hi Daniel.
Thanks for the useful hint, indeed pressing the BLUE key while turning on the GD-77 does the trick!
Before doing this the option "Mode: Auto" was missing, there were only "Mode: None" and "Mode: Manual".
To re-enable the missing option, I also had to act randomly even by turning the transceiver off and on again.
By pushing the GREEN button I entered the menu and from there I selected the "Display option" item where I chose "Manual".
Once this was done, the backlight was controlled by the side button SK1 (very convenient option!).
Wanting to restore automatic operation, I did the same steps as before but the possible choices were only "Mode: None" and "Mode: Manual", from which always "Timeout: N/A", until by acting randomly on the GD-77 it was shown to me the missing option "Mode: Auto".
Now after pressing the BLUE key and turn on the transceiver the problem has gone away and everything works as expected.
Probably this thing about turning on the GD-77 with the blue button pressed after an update is supposed to be mandatory, but I had missed it, my fault, sorry.

If pressing the Blue key during boot has fixed it, suggests there is a bug somewhere in the settings system.

IZ2EIB

Post by IZ2EIB » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:38 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:28 pm
If pressing the Blue key during boot has fixed it, suggests there is a bug somewhere in the settings system.
Thank you Roger.
So after an update it would not be supposed to perform mandatorily that kind of procedure?
I ask because I have never done it and maybe that is also why I had so many problems in other circumstances.
Thanks!

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:15 pm

IZ2EIB wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:38 pm
Thank you Roger.
So after an update it would not be supposed to perform mandatorily that kind of procedure?
I ask because I have never done it and maybe that is also why I had so many problems in other circumstances.
Thanks!

No.

There is a "settings version" number stored in the memory, and when the settings format changes, and when the developer (me Daniel, Alex or Colin etc), changes the version number and this should cause the firmware to automatically return all settings to their default values.

W0RMT

Post by W0RMT » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:37 am

IZ2EIB wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:21 pm
F1RMB wrote:
Hi Daniel.

Just to confirm, I am able to replicate this issue and settings reset solution. So it does appear to be a bug.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:58 am

I can't see anything wrong with the code for this, but I've changed the settings version ID again and I changed the settings struct to put all the bool variables together in case we decide to pack the struct later.