Feature - Zone only row in CSV import

OpenGD77CPS
footloosejava

Feature - Zone only row in CSV import

Post by footloosejava » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:07 am

If the user defines the channels that are common first,
then can add them to other zones afterwards in the file.

If the DATA_TYPE is 'ZN_DATA' and the channel has been previously defined (already added as a channel),
Then look for a zone name and add the channel to that zone.

For example,

Code: Select all

Data type	Name	Channel Type	, , , , Scanlist, Zone
CH_DATA, ABC01Z , [channel details, incl, primary zone - same as now]
ZN_DATA, ABC01Z, ,,,,,,,, Another zone ,,,,,"
The ZN_DATA row is the same as all other rows, except the Name must contain a recognized name, and the Zone can be a new or existing zone.
The user can even put comments and other throw-away stuff in the other columns - to help keep CSV organized.
As long as ZN_DATA, then import will only pay attention Channel Name and Zone Name.

Example:

Code: Select all

Data type	Name	Channel Type	, , , , Scanlist, Zone
CH_DATA, ABC01Z , [channel details, incl, primary zone - same as now]
CH_DATA, ABC01X , [channel details, incl, primary zone - same as now]
ZN_DATA, ABC01Z, , *** START ADD CHANNELS TO LOCAL ABDC ZONE ,,,,,,, Abcd Amateur Club ,,,,,"
ZN_DATA, ABC01X, ,                                           ,,,,,,, Abcd Amateur Club ,,,,,"
CH_DATA, DEFF01 , ....
CH_DATA, DEFF02 , ....
etc.
This mean, in CSV, user can add channel by CALL SIGN, and then populate into additional zones without having need to make duplicate channels with new names.

I humbly submit.

footloosejava

Re: Feature - Zone only row in CSV import

Post by footloosejava » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:55 pm

I have 371 channels in the spreadsheet that I import to build my channels and zones.
Out of those 371 channels, 98 of them are actually duplicates with modified names so that CPS will import them into a new zone.

By allowing as Zone Only Row, these duplicate channels would not exist (making 98 more unused channels) and also prevent the need to make unique names for the identical channels just to do the auto import.

Of course, the channels can be manually moved into new zones in the CPS, but that involves manual labor every time.

This feature would allow complete automation of the channels and zones, in the most efficient way possible.

Just plugging this crazy idea and hoping someone else gets excited about it too!