Feature - Zone domain chooser

OpenGD77CPS
footloosejava

Feature - Zone domain chooser

Post by footloosejava » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:16 am

"Zone domains"

Rather than always see all zones, create a zones domain so that the user can switch between domains only seeing the zones in that domain. Why? because when I am at home, there are zones that I never will use and they get in the way of efficient navigation of the zones that I do want to use, when at home.

For example, when I go South, I like a certain set of zones available in California. But I don't care to have them show up when I'm at home.

Having them in the zones list and all-channels just bloats things and means I have to click a lot more to get past the stuff that isn't relevant.

I know this is a crazy idea! But think about the awesome sauce:

Domain (Home):
Zones activated [a,b,c,d,e]

Domain (San Francisco):
Zones activated [a,e,g,h]

Domain (Los Angeles):
Zones activated [e,f,g,h]

Domain (Orlando)
Zones activated [h,i,j,k]

Domain (220 MHz)
Zones activated [a,l,m]

Domain (ALL):
Same as present, showing all zones in default order.

*Letters would actually be Zone names.

Say the radio allowed a max of 8 domains. The active domain would be chosen in the menu, and ensure that only the chosen zones in that domain would be visible to the menu and options. Of course, with the option to do 'All' domain (same as present).

Now, to me this makes a lot of sense because having 250 zones (or any large number of zones) is pretty much useless unless the large number of zones can be organized and invoked when needed.

Even with the 80 channels change, is so many zones and probably the user only wants access to some of the zone setups in limited locations and/or circumstances.

An idea for when the code is stable and the current issues are resolved.

W0RMT

Re: Feature - Zone domain chooser

Post by W0RMT » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:45 pm

Yeah, this is *not* a crazy idea. It's related to something I was thinking about a while ago, and that is scanning selective zones rather than individual or all zones. I think Colin replied to my post stating that it would require an extra flag, or maybe some kind of "zone flag?" I'd vote for putting it on the wishlist.

footloosejava

Re: Feature - Zone domain chooser

Post by footloosejava » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:01 pm

W0RMT wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:45 pm
Yeah, this is *not* a crazy idea. It's related to something I was thinking about a while ago, and that is scanning selective zones rather than individual or all zones. I think Colin replied to my post stating that it would require an extra flag, or maybe some kind of "zone flag?" I'd vote for putting it on the wishlist.
Oh good. I'm not the only crazy one :D

This goes one step further, basically recognizing that the radio setup needs to be configured
for different environments, completely eliminating the unneeded zones until that domain is enabled.
The zones in inactive domains would not be accessible by the 'Zone' menu or the 'BLUE + UP' combo.
This eliminates them from all visibility until enabled by choosing the appropriate domain.
And yes, this could be a good way to also accomplish your feature request, because switching Domains and then doing SCAN would only scan the zones in that domain.