usernames

W0RMT

usernames

Post by W0RMT » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:14 pm

Hey folks- as a reminder please set your username in this forum to your amateur radio callsign. It makes it easier to track reports, issues, contributions, etc. And since we're all (?) hams, that's how we refer to each other anyway, right? Thanks! :)

DU2XXR

Re: usernames

Post by DU2XXR » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:13 pm

W0RMT wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:14 pm
Hey folks- as a reminder please set your username in this forum to your amateur radio callsign. It makes it easier to track reports, issues, contributions, etc. And since we're all (?) hams, that's how we refer to each other anyway, right? Thanks! :)
It can be set upon registration, but once you've registered with a username, it can only be changed by an admin. So for new folks our there, please do use your call when registering. Otherwise, please request an admin to change it for you.

W0RMT

Post by W0RMT » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:20 pm

Thanks for the further detail, Angelo. Yes if you have already registered, please don't hesitate to ask an admin to change your username to you call!

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:32 pm

Guys

I did try to change the login text, to tell people to use callsigns, but I could not find an easy way to do it, as it seems to be something to do with the language configuration, and I would probably need to create a new language file and install that.

Perhaps someone else can investigate how on do this

Also..
I have approached some people and changed their username, but some members are not licensed and hence don’t have a callsign. So I don’t think it’s going to be possible to completely have all members use callsigns

W0RMT

Post by W0RMT » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:12 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:32 pm
Guys

I did try to change the login text, to tell people to use callsigns, but I could not find an easy way to do it, as it seems to be something to do with the language configuration, and I would probably need to create a new language file and install that.

Perhaps someone else can investigate how on do this

Also..
I have approached some people and changed their username, but some members are not licensed and hence don’t have a callsign. So I don’t think it’s going to be possible to completely have all members use callsigns
I can't verify since i don't have access to it on this BB, but googling revealed that the text for registration can be edited here: language/en/common.php line 302.

And good point about some not being licensed. I hadn't thought about that

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:30 am

Thanks.

I'll take a look at that file

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:35 am

line 302 in the latest language common.php is something else.

This is the common.php renamed to common.txt

There are loads of places that have the test "username"

I could possibly change them all, but that may not be idea.

I think we need to find the one just used for the registration text
Attachments
common.rar
(17.7 KiB) Downloaded 173 times

W0RMT

Post by W0RMT » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:17 pm

Here is on place in that file that would specify a username requirement before registration- line 391:

Code: Select all

'LOGIN_INFO'						=> 'In order to login you must be registered. Registering takes only a few moments but gives you increased capabilities. The board administrator may also grant additional permissions to registered users. Before you register please ensure you are familiar with our terms of use and related policies. Please ensure you read any forum rules as you navigate around the board.',
To change the "Registration Agreement" page, it looks like you need to edit language/en/ucp.php See this page in the phpBB KB

But yeah all of this takes time from OpenGD77 development, so it's definitely low priority stuff.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:36 pm

Thanks.

I will take a look when I get some free time