MMDVMHost working and running on Mac OSX (was: Has anyone tried to run BlueDV on Mac OSX?)

User avatar
4I1RAC
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:25 am
Location: Philippines
Contact:

MMDVMHost working and running on Mac OSX (was: Has anyone tried to run BlueDV on Mac OSX?)

Post by 4I1RAC » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:00 pm

Has anyone tried to run BlueDV on MacOS?

Or is there any alternative software that can run on the Mac?

I ask because I currently run Zello on an old MacBook using Wine. There's no native OSX app, so I have packaged it using Winebottler so it runs via emulation. I'm not sure, though, if the USB-to-serial can be correctly mapped. If I can also run an opengd77 hotspot concurrently, then this would save me from having to dedicate a Windows machine for this purpose.

BTW, this is linked to the DX1ARM UHF repeater at 431.600 MHz in the Greater Manila Area. You can check it out at https://zello.com/dx1arm-uhf or search for the "DX1ARM UHF ROIP" channel on Zello (you can listen but need to get "trusted" in order to talk, since we restrict access to licensed hams).
Last edited by 4I1RAC on Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Angelo, 4I1RAC / N2RAC
Brandmeister Philippines support team
Talkgroups
- 51518 crosslinked to DX1ARM 431.600 MHz Fusion repeater, Metro Manila
- 98977 Opengd77
- 515 Philippines

https://n2rac.com

User avatar
F1RMB
Posts: 404
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:42 am
Location: Grenoble, France
Contact:

Re: Has anyone tried to run BlueDV on Mac OSX?

Post by F1RMB » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:27 pm

Hi Angelo,
4I1RAC wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:00 pm
Has anyone tried to run BlueDV on MacOS?

Or is there any alternative software that can run on the Mac?

I ask because I currently run Zello on an old MacBook using Wine. There's no native OSX app, so I have packaged it using Winebottler so it runs via emulation. I'm not sure, though, if the USB-to-serial can be correctly mapped. If I can also run an opengd77 hotspot concurrently, then this would save me from having to dedicate a Windows machine for this purpose.

BTW, this is linked to the DX1ARM UHF repeater at 431.600 MHz in the Greater Manila Area. You can check it out at https://zello.com/dx1arm-uhf or search for the "DX1ARM UHF ROIP" channel on Zello (you can listen but need to get "trusted" in order to talk, since we restrict access to licensed hams).
I can't help you on this one, but, can't you just compile and run MMDVMHost on OS-X ?

Cheers.
---
Daniel
73 de Daniel.

User avatar
4I1RAC
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:25 am
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Re: Has anyone tried to run BlueDV on Mac OSX?

Post by 4I1RAC » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:48 pm

F1RMB wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:27 pm
Hi Angelo,
4I1RAC wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:00 pm
Has anyone tried to run BlueDV on MacOS?

Or is there any alternative software that can run on the Mac?

I ask because I currently run Zello on an old MacBook using Wine. There's no native OSX app, so I have packaged it using Winebottler so it runs via emulation. I'm not sure, though, if the USB-to-serial can be correctly mapped. If I can also run an opengd77 hotspot concurrently, then this would save me from having to dedicate a Windows machine for this purpose.

BTW, this is linked to the DX1ARM UHF repeater at 431.600 MHz in the Greater Manila Area. You can check it out at https://zello.com/dx1arm-uhf or search for the "DX1ARM UHF ROIP" channel on Zello (you can listen but need to get "trusted" in order to talk, since we restrict access to licensed hams).
I can't help you on this one, but, can't you just compile and run MMDVMHost on OS-X ?

Cheers.
---
Daniel
I will try. Thanks, Daniel.
Angelo, 4I1RAC / N2RAC
Brandmeister Philippines support team
Talkgroups
- 51518 crosslinked to DX1ARM 431.600 MHz Fusion repeater, Metro Manila
- 98977 Opengd77
- 515 Philippines

https://n2rac.com

VK3KYY
Posts: 1612
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Has anyone tried to run BlueDV on Mac OSX?

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:16 pm

Let me know if you can’t compile MMDMVHost for the Mac, as I have a 2 Macs I use for development, for my day job.

User avatar
4I1RAC
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:25 am
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Re: Has anyone tried to run BlueDV on Mac OSX?

Post by 4I1RAC » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:59 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:16 pm
Let me know if you can’t compile MMDMVHost for the Mac, as I have a 2 Macs I use for development, for my day job.
I'm currently loaded with work (day job + client work for a content development business on the side), so I might take some time in doing this. Would be a big favor if you can compile (you might already have the tools ready?).
Angelo, 4I1RAC / N2RAC
Brandmeister Philippines support team
Talkgroups
- 51518 crosslinked to DX1ARM 431.600 MHz Fusion repeater, Metro Manila
- 98977 Opengd77
- 515 Philippines

https://n2rac.com

VK3KYY
Posts: 1612
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Has anyone tried to run BlueDV on Mac OSX?

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:47 am

4I1RAC wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:59 am
VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:16 pm
Let me know if you can’t compile MMDMVHost for the Mac, as I have a 2 Macs I use for development, for my day job.
I'm currently loaded with work (day job + client work for a content development business on the side), so I might take some time in doing this. Would be a big favor if you can compile (you might already have the tools ready?).
I just checked the MMDVMHost repo on github and there is nothing specific about compiling for OSX. There is a makefile, which would be for linux etc.
So it doesnt look like there is XCode project

So I'll check if either of my mac's has GCC installed on them, and if not, how difficult it is to install it

VK3KYY
Posts: 1612
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Has anyone tried to run BlueDV on Mac OSX?

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:10 am

I just tried to compile MMDVMHost on one of my Mac's and although I do have GCC installed the build failed because some of the time related functions are not supported.

I did bit of research and this may be because the version of MacOS on that machine is too old, so possibly I may be able to compile it on my newer mac.

However at the moment that Mac is being used for something else, so I can't mess around installing GCC on it.

I also did a quick search to see if anyone else had compiled MMDVMHost for OSX, but surprisingly I could not find anything about it. So its possible that no one has tried to compile MMVDMHost on OSX recently

VK3KYY
Posts: 1612
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Has anyone tried to run BlueDV on Mac OSX?

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:29 am

Angelo

I managed to get MMDVMhost to compile on my new'er (1 year old) mac, but now need to connect the GD-77 and see what happens !

User avatar
4I1RAC
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:25 am
Location: Philippines
Contact:

Re: Has anyone tried to run BlueDV on Mac OSX?

Post by 4I1RAC » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:50 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:29 am
Angelo

I managed to get MMDVMhost to compile on my new'er (1 year old) mac, but now need to connect the GD-77 and see what happens !
Good to hear, Roger! Hope all goes well. Yes, I don't see anyone else compiling for Mac, and this would be a great help to Mac users like myself who have limited experience in compiling from source. I actually tried, but I got errors (will paste in later; I'm on my Windows laptop).
Angelo, 4I1RAC / N2RAC
Brandmeister Philippines support team
Talkgroups
- 51518 crosslinked to DX1ARM 431.600 MHz Fusion repeater, Metro Manila
- 98977 Opengd77
- 515 Philippines

https://n2rac.com

VK3KYY
Posts: 1612
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:25 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact:

Re: Has anyone tried to run BlueDV on Mac OSX?

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:54 am

Angelo

It works !!

I just had 2 QSO's on DMR MARC Australia using the OpenGD77 Hotspot into my Mac as the host running MMDVMHost.


I've zipped the MMDVMHost binary file. Hopefully you can unzip it onto your Mac

You will need to use chmod +x (or a+x) etc, to make it into an executable

You'll also need to take a working MMDVMhost file from somewhere else and modify it to work on the mac.

if you do

ls /dev/tty*

You will see a virtual USB TTY device in the list, and you'll need to set the "port" setting in the mmdvmhost.ini file to that value e.g. /dev/tty.xxx12345

Also, MMDVMHost expects the ini file to be in /etc, but you can specify it as a command line option e.g.

./MMDVMHost MMDVMHost.ini

and it will use the ini file in the same folder as the executable.
Attachments
MMDVMHostOSX.zip
(360.25 KiB) Downloaded 7 times

Post Reply