Side project, "DMR Station" network radio

ea3ihi

Side project, "DMR Station" network radio

Post by ea3ihi » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:45 pm

I would like to present a new project I am working on. It is a DMR network radio. It can run on a Raspberry PI. I have borrowed some code (and a lot of inpiration) fro OpenGD77 and other projects.

You can find more about it at http://dmrstation.com

Here you have a video showing some of the features listening to the Spanish TG 214.

http://dmrstation.com/DMRStation_214.mp4

David

NA7Q

Re: Side project, "DMR Station" network radio

Post by NA7Q » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:37 pm

This is awesome! I'm very interested in seeing where this project goes.

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:10 am

Wow, this looks very interesting! No DMR radio involved, just this? Nice! Have you tried a cheap $5 ebay USB sound card with it, I see you said you had to use bluetooth, but these sound cards are super cheap.

Curious, would it work on a standard Linux desktop? I see the heart of it is the md380-emu, which as far as I can tell, doesn't run on x86/x64, but maybe I've missed something.

I don't have a screen for any of my Pi's, but would be interesting if it could be done some other way. Look forward to seeing where this goes!

SP2ONG

Post by SP2ONG » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:15 am

Nice project.

I have used Orange Pi Zero 512 Mb (about USD $15) which has integrated sound card with input microphone http://www.orangepi.org/orangepizero/
See the attached diagram to connect a microphone

You can install ARMBIAN BUSTER: https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-zero/ but you must use kernel 4.19 instead 5.x because driver fbtft not working on kernels 5.x
Attachments
mic.jpg
mic.jpg (23.13 KiB) Viewed 7431 times
Last edited by SP2ONG on Thu May 21, 2020 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

ea3ihi

Post by ea3ihi » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:55 am

I think it should run in the Orange Pi Zero providing you meet all the software requirements (gtk, glib, pulse audio...) it is really nice that it has a mic input. what screen do you use?

I already have a usb soundcard for testing with the Pi as soon as i receive some SD cards. The tests with USB headset in my STM32MP1 went really well, so i expect USB soundcard should work with the Pi without problem.

The source code is there for anyone to compile it in so Linux desktop, or even Windows desktop is possible. I need to work more in the Ambe part to be able to run with a Ambeserver instead of the emu.

SP2ONG

Post by SP2ONG » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:47 am

Hi David,

I think that for such a solution it is worth leaving options with md380 or adding it if someone wants to use it and has DV3000.

If you compare the cost of Orange Pi Zero a Raspberry Pi 3 (+ USB sound card - not all work with 8 Khz sample rate) the Orange Pi Zero for "DMR Stations" is a nice solution :-)

I would like to use LCD 480×320.

ea3ihi

Post by ea3ihi » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:58 am

For a resolution of 480x320 you can use the "miniUI=1" option in the configuration file. If you give it a try with the Orange Pi zero just let me know the results, as you say if it includes the mic input it is a very interesting option.

EB3AM

Post by EB3AM » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:41 pm

Hola Company!
Hello friend!
First of all I want to congratulate you on this piece of software you gave birth to. You are a genius!
It's really impressive, but as is the case with other systems that use the network to interconnect, I don't like the fact that the end user, the radio amateur, uses tools that are not typical of the hobby. And it’s not a reproach to you or to the software you’ve made, if not that I think these kinds of tools distort the essence of amateur radio.
it’s just my opinion. You know you can find me whenever you want at BM 21460 :-)

SP2ONG

Post by SP2ONG » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:00 pm

Remember, we are radio amateur who like experiment and it is great in this hobby that everyone can decide whether
to use the available tool or not ;)
As you will notice DMR without the Internet (which is not an amateur radio medium) is practically of little use.

For me personally the difference between DMRStation and the "radio + hotspot (which stands next to the 50 cm radio)" is practically none. Turn off the internet in both cases and you will not be able to communicate with others :)

I suppose it is possible to implement the "DMRStation" mode in OpenGD77 where you can communicate directly using an external microphone and speaker. This mode, for example, is available in Fusion Yeasu radio unless it is called "C4FM Direct Portable Digital Node".

TA2EI

Post by TA2EI » Mon May 04, 2020 10:45 am

Dear OM
Is there an example installation instructions for Raspberry Pi (4) like
STM32MP157C-DK2?
Regards.