swap RX <--> TX in channel mode ?

LY1RF

swap RX <--> TX in channel mode ?

Post by LY1RF » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:29 pm

Can I swap FM repeater RX - TX in channel mode by quick menu , or first I need to copy channel to VFO to do that ?

R

VK3KYY

Re: swap RX <--> TX in channel mode ?

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:25 pm

No. You would have to use the VFO to swap freqs

Also. Listening in the input if the repeater is more complex than just swapping the frequency

If the tx and Rx freqs are not the same, the firmware assumes that the signal comes from a repeater and I don’t think it will decode the transmission to the input of the repeater from another station.

You need to set the Tx and Rx freq to the input of the repeater.

We need to add a talk-around feature for Channels, which would do something special for this

EB3AM

Post by EB3AM » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:25 pm

Well, I think that this in DMR should not be easy and possibly not useful, but in analog FM it is interesting.
Having to pass the channel to the VFO to make a change tx <-> rx is too much work, especially if we consider that it is not easy once you already have the channel to the VFO, you have to go to the orange button and look for the item.
I think it would be better to have a shortcut with some numeric key on the keyboard (number 7?), which, for example, when pressing-during a long press, allows listening to the TX frequency, and releasing it will go to normal operation.
This obviously only if the channel is analog.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:37 am

EB3AM wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:25 pm
Well, I think that this in DMR should not be easy and possibly not useful, but in analog FM it is interesting.
Having to pass the channel to the VFO to make a change tx <-> rx is too much work, especially if we consider that it is not easy once you already have the channel to the VFO, you have to go to the orange button and look for the item.
I think it would be better to have a shortcut with some numeric key on the keyboard (number 7?), which, for example, when pressing-during a long press, allows listening to the TX frequency, and releasing it will go to normal operation.
This obviously only if the channel is analog.
Currently the black button is assigned to displaying information about the channel.
But you can use Function Green to see the Channel Details screen
So perhaps assigning Black to listen on the input of the repeater, either on DMR or FM mode is probably a better use of the button.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:42 am

I am doing some tests to use the Black button to set the Rx freq to the Tx freq, when its held in.

But I need to test with a local station who I can also hear using simplex and there are not very may people who I can hear on simplex.

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:41 am

Roger,

I think if you set the RX frequency to the TX frequency the radio would switch to simplex mode and you should be able to hear a DMR transmission on the input of a repeater. The uplink to a repeater is the same format as a simplex transmission so it should work.

You would have problems if both timeslots were in use and you could hear both stations direct but I doubt that would happen very often.

Obviously the same technique would work for FM repeaters.

Colin.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:35 pm

Colin

Thanks.

That’s what’s am trying.

I just need to find someone local to test this with

LY1RF

Post by LY1RF » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:48 pm

do you have only one radio? just ask your kids to play with your another radio :D

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:57 pm

I have multiple radios, but its better to test with someone else who is perhaps 5km from me, because using another radio in close proximity causes problems, and its not a good test

LY1RF

Post by LY1RF » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:05 pm

if it works in your garden - it will work wordwide :mrgreen: