Official Radioddity firmware 3.02.04 problem

EB3EEL

Official Radioddity firmware 3.02.04 problem

Post by EB3EEL » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:19 am

Hello, i have a gd77, and want to try another firmware, choose the EA5SW/EB2EAS, its a great firmware, experiment with it and when return to the factory firmware made a mistake and load the V3.02.04, what is defective, when i try to load another firmware the radio dont enter in firmware upgrade mode by pressing the two side buttons, the radio starts normally and cant upgrade it.
I have a backup of the memory made with RadioddityGD77FlashManager, but if write to the radio work the same problem, the radio start in factory mode, i talk with Radioddity people and tell me make some tests , but not work.
Sorry for the long post but hope that somebody could help me and another people with the same problem, i search in internet but dont found something like my problem.

VK3KYY

Re: Official Radioddity firmware 3.02.04 problem

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:52 am

Mikelet6 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:19 am
when return to the factory firmware made a mistake and load the V3.02.04, what is defective, when i try to load another firmware the radio dont enter in firmware upgrade mode by pressing the two side buttons, the radio starts normally and cant upgrade it.
I never heard of this happening. Perhaps firmware v3.02.04 did something very bad, and damaged the bootloader or some other parts of the ROM.

Are you absolutely sure that holding SK1 and SK2 when turning on the radio does not enter bootloader mode. This should always work.

Did you try removing the battery, and then inserting the battery while pressing SK1 and SK2 with the power turned on.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:52 am

BTW. What is your callsign?

EB3EEL

Post by EB3EEL » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:19 am

Hello, my callsing is EB3EEL, 2143638, Miquel Roca, and yes i try what you say , people from radioddity tell me to try this and another things but not work, finally they send me another radio in replacement, they have a good service, meanwhile it arrives i try to recover this radio but no success, i return to they and i have to be more careful with do some things to not damage the new radio hahaha.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:57 pm

Do you need to return the radio to Radioddity. This is not normal.

Normally, they do not require defective radios to be returned.

There is a way to reflash the MCU ROM, but a programming tool needs to be connected to the PCB

EB3EEL

Post by EB3EEL » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:49 am

Thank you, if i dont have to return the radio maybe can try to do this, do you know where is this information? i read something in the forum but is beyond my knowledge, but have some frinends good in programming, i can do the interface and try to do this, one time i have the new radio can try to read it and clone into the bad radio.
thnaks in advance
Last edited by EB3EEL on Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:02 am

Mikelet6 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:49 am
Thank you, if i dont have to return the radio maybe can try to do this, do you know where is this information? i read something in the forum but is beyond my knowledge, but have some frinends good in programming, i can do the interface and try to do this.
thnaks in advance
I am very surprised that you can not enter the bootloader. Perhaps the problem is only that one of the buttons is defective.

Are you certain, that if you press the buttons SK_1 and SK_2 on the side of the radio when you turn on the power, that the screen does not stay blank and that the Green LED is not illuminated ?

If you definitely not enter the bootloader, I would first disassemble the radio, and check the function of the buttons.
It is not difficult to disassemble, the only special tool is a star screwdriver for 2 of the screws.

Also to remove the main PCB, you must unsolder the centre of the antenna connector.

Let me know if you want to know how to disassemble the radio and I will probably make a video

EB3EEL

Post by EB3EEL » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:40 am

The buttons work well, if i press it , they make the function, scan and monitor in my case, when i power on, the radio start normally, when i try to enter in bootloader mode the screen goes black but after that starts normally, its like try to enter but aborts and starts normally.
Today open the radio and unsold the eeprom and flash to read externally if there is any problem, but seems to work well, i try to clear the memories and the radio dont start, is in white screen and nothing does, but when i write the old program into it, there is a problem and the fonts are loss and have black blocks in place of letters, better not touch more, i could ruin the radio for ever.
Later i take out the flash again and try to rewrite.
As a prevention, i made a backup of the memory with Raddioddity Flash Manager , if i try to write the backup bin i made with radioddity flash manager, i follow the secuence: blue button, green button and keylock at the moment i press write, the radio restart and dont write, then in normal mode if i press write the program seems to write, but nothing change, at 12%, the radio restart in factory reset and begin again.
there will be a problem accessing the memory but i dont know how to go more forward.
Maybe keep the radio for spare parts until i found some way to revive it.
Thanks for your interest.
By the way if you can change my username to EB3EEL, no problem, i read the message later and can not change now.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:09 pm

Ok.

Perhaps the official firmware has erased some critical information in the MCU ROM.

There is some special data near the top of the MCU ROM, which is designed to prevent the copying of the ROM from one radio to another. It’s a really stupid idea of their firmware developers, because if this data becomes corrupt, it causes the bootloader to fail and also the firmware to fail.

The problem will not be in the Flash or the EEPROM because the bootloader does not read them.

Do you know someone with a JLink programmer, ( Chinese clone of Jlink also works fine ), because I think you will need to erase and reflash the MCU ROM.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:38 pm

FYI.

I changed your username to EB3EEL