Old Callsign Displayed

W4JEW

Old Callsign Displayed

Post by W4JEW » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:39 pm

Riddle me this Batman....

I just got my GD-77 care of Amazon.com. I used the OpenGD77 CPS Software and programmed a few channels to use with my hotspots.

When I first got my DMR IDs from RadioID.net (3113156 and 3113397), my callsign was KM4KPI. I've had a vanity callsign (W4JEW) for well over a year now. My ID has been updated with the new callsign via RadioID.net since the day I got my new vanity callsign.

When I key up on my GD77 then unkey, it displays my old callsign! Where would that info be coming from?

Knowing the answer to this would probably help me solve another similar issue I've been having when using the Quadnet TG on Brandmeister (TG 31012). Whenever I use that TG, people tell me they see me come through as KM4KPI on the Quadnet dashboard.

Somehow, somewhere, my DMR IDs 3113156 & 3113397 still shows my callsign is KM4KPI and I need to figure it out.

VK3KYY

Re: Old Callsign Displayed

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:59 pm

What ID do you have programmed into your radio ?

Where did you download the ID database from (HamDigital download from inside the CPS or from CSV from RadioId.net)

Also, are you using BM or DMR MARC as on BM it displays the callsign sent in the Taker Alias text, by the BM server.

W4JEW

Post by W4JEW » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:35 am

Hello,

I’m using my 3113156 ID in the codeplug. I did not download any contacts from within the CPS software itself but I did notice it defaulted to Ham-Digital.org.

I’m a complete n00b to OpenGD77 so forgive me if I missed something obvious. I need to do a little more RTFM.

I just wanted to see if perhaps someone had an idea as to where to start looking.

Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly!

P.S. I’ve suspected that the mismatch in ID to callsign comes from Ham-Digital.org and not from RadioID.net. I just never hunted it down.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:44 am

The normal operation is to load the callsigns into the DMR ID database, rather than loading them into the Contacts.

The Contacts only holds 1024 entries including TalkGroups and is intended to hold the IDs/Callsigns of the people you want to make Private Calls and also holds the TalkGroups.

Most people only have TG's in the Contacts and perhaps a few individual stations that they make Private Calls to.
Note. DMR MARC network does not support Private Calls as far as I'm aware.

The DMR ID database can currently hold around 13,000 callsigns and names and is used to lookup that information on networks that don't support Talker Alias (i.e DMR MARC does not support TA)

If you are on Brandmeister, they send your callsign from their database as plain text, and you would need to contact them if thats where your old callsign data is coming from.

W4JEW

Post by W4JEW » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:54 am

Ok thanks for the explanation! I just printed out the OpenGD77 documentation and will read that before I do anything else.

I’m fairly confident that Brandmeister has my info correct. Both of my DMR IDs and my Repeater ID are mapped to my self-care account which is associated with W4JEW (my current callsign). And any time I talk to someone that’s relying on Talker Alias, they see my current callsign.

I’m sure I’ll get to the bottom of it.

Thanks again!

-JeffH