Baofeng DM-5R and RD-5R

m1dyp

Re: Baofeng DM-5R and RD-5R

Post by m1dyp » Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:23 pm

kd2lh wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:11 pm
The Baofeng RD-5R is a different radio. It DOES support Tier 2 so must have a later chip.
yes almost certainly :D

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:23 pm

Umm.

My display seems to be held on with silicon sealant as glue and a sticky pad on the PCB (which I have removed).

I guess I'll need to re-glue, probably with hot glue, before I put it back together.

With the C3000 chip. I thought I'd look on Alibaba to see if its even possible to buy a C6000 but its not. Which is an interesting fact in its own right.
All the other components are available including the AT1846S FM transceiver chip, which deepens the mystery about the C6000 and why there are no data sheets for it and its impossible to buy this chip/

m1dyp

Post by m1dyp » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:51 pm

secret squirrels lol

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:59 pm

m1dyp wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:51 pm
secret squirrels lol
There is something decidedly fishy about the company that makes this chip. I think they are an offshoot from a Chinese government run university.

Luckily this not an internet connected device, so there is no chance it can be told to do something untoward

EB3AM

Post by EB3AM » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:19 am

The chip is certainly not connected to the internet, but the radio is networked and this network runs over the internet ... :oops:

kd2lh

Post by kd2lh » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:14 pm

Considering the manufacturing costs and price point of all these Chinese DMR radios, I've always expected some form of government subsidy, ownership or support was involved.

Even the higher end companies like Hytera (also in the Shenzhen area: Hytera has a head office located at Hytera Tower, Shenzhen Hi-Tech Industrial Park North, Beihuan RD. 9108 Nanshan District, Shenzhen) must be operating with coordinated government support.

Many years ago, I knew a Chinese national that worked for my company (an international computer company), He left in order to become chairman of a Chinese oriented medical instrument company making Magnetic Resonance equipment for use in country (in competition with GE). The government established a new small city for the company, opened a University branch there and staffed it with the expectation that professors would identify high performing students for employment there. The area was built to western standards, and when a young person was employed there, their entire extended family was invited to join them. This generated intense loyalty/

It's possible that this chip's design and implementation is a state secret (possibly due to reverse engineering, or the cost of developing it).

EB3AM

Post by EB3AM » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:40 pm

I can understand that they do not want to reveal the operation of the chip, however
How does the factory owner, whether private or not, benefit from selling the cheap chips?
If not they want to wage a trade war with companies (Motorola, for example) from other countries, and capitalize on the DMR market, in this particular case.
The DMR protocol is an ETSI standard, however, does the original firmware take advantage of hidden chip design to capture terminal data? and when he gets a chance he sends them to the manufacturer ... :oops:

mw1coe

Post by mw1coe » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:34 pm

I have the Original DM5r which is NOT Dual TS so unless there exists a newer Version I'm interested what your plan is ..

Rob..

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:00 am

Dzmitry EW1ADG has done the initial port (conversion) of the OpenGD77 to his DM-5R which must be the newer version which is Tier 2.

I have a RD-5R, which appears to be the same as the DM-5R mk2, and I have started to do some initial testing with Dzmitry's version, however its not ready for main stream release, because there are quite a lot of bugs that need to be fixed and also the way the different display on the DM-5R has been handled causes quite a lot of complication in the code, so Daniel F1RMB and I have been investigating how to simplify the differences in the code.

EA2AYO

Post by EA2AYO » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:17 am

Is SFR (Single Frequency Repeater) a feature that (can) will be added to the Baofeng DM-5R / Radioddity RD-5R?
Last edited by EA2AYO on Sat Apr 11, 2020 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.