What to use for generating the PDF?

KC7RBW

What to use for generating the PDF?

Post by KC7RBW » Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:48 am

What do people who maintain the docs use for creating the PDF? The best thing I've found so far is Typora, though I'd much rather find something that could be run in Travis CI or CircleCI. I would absolutely love to find something that will do orphan / widow control so that headings and content will stay together.

In any case, what's in use right now? I don't want to rock the boat, I just want to make a few improvements to the docs and push an update to the PDF when I do.

VK3KYY

Re: What to use for generating the PDF?

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:04 am

I've not had much success creating a pdf of the docs.

I think Bud, who normally creates the PDF uses a plug for Atom, but I've tried that, and it didnt seem to work very well for me.

Bud posted the tools he uses, into one of the threads but I can't remember which one.

You could search for Atom e.g. search.php?keywords=atom and look in the results, but there were quite a lot of hits

KC7RBW

Post by KC7RBW » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:23 am

It makes sense to use Atom since that's a project from GitHub and may use same or similar CSS as the GitHub site. I'll take a look and see if I can work out how to get similar output.

DU2XXR

Post by DU2XXR » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:13 am

I've actually been editing the doc in Markdown right in my browser. I do have Atom, but I've had some difficulty in figuring it out. Bud W0RMT (now VK3BUD) does the PDF generation, but I've also tried to do it via MD to PDF with some issues in generating the table of contents.

That being said, the documentation needs a serious update, and I've been noting down incremental features in my documentation wiki at https://github.com/jangelor/OpenGD77/wi ... ation-ToDo .

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:25 am

And. There are some new features, from Daniel , I just added ;-)

KC7RBW

Post by KC7RBW » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:01 pm

The harder it is to make and review updates to the manual the less it will stay current. That's why I like Markdown - super easy to edit and review changes without having special software. I don't see the value in the PDF, but I suspect I'm in the minority there.

So what I'd like is one of two things:

1. A wiki page that describes how to generate the PDF.
2. To just trust that if I make updates to the Markdown that Bud or someone else who already knows a decent way to do it will do that after I push my updates.

I'd rather be able to update it myself, so I'd prefer the first option.

Another thought is that the PDF (and for that matter the firmware itself) probably doesn't belong in the git repo but on the releases page or somewhere else. Git wasn't made for binary data and its performance degrades when you keep a lot of binaries in there. Fortunately the firmware is quite small, but when you have many versions they quickly stack up.