Port this firmware to Md380 and others...

VK3KYY

Re: Port this firmware to Md380 and others...

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:06 am

IN2KIN + one other Ham is working on the MD-380 version

I'm very interested in the UV-380 / RT3S, but I don't know if the encryption has been hacked, or whether the bootloader has the same bug, so that it can be read and the encryption cracked (like on the MD-380)

I don't want to waste money buying a RT3S, until I know that the encryption is breakable and that a firmware file encryption tool could be written, (like bin2sgl for the GD77 etc)

kc3awn

Post by kc3awn » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:09 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:06 am
IU2KIN + one other Ham is working on the MD-380 version

I'm very interested in the UV-380 / RT3S, but I don't know if the encryption has been hacked, or whether the bootloader has the same bug, so that it can be read and the encryption cracked (like on the MD-380)

I don't want to waste money buying a RT3S, until I know that the encryption is breakable and that a firmware file encryption tool could be written, (like bin2sgl for the GD77 etc)
I started looking with Ghidra at another radios firmware today (Fairly new to this btw). I did some digging and found the radio has a HR_C5000-1 for the baseband and STM32F405VGT6 for the MCU and it would appear the flash memory for the MCU is a W25Q80 which is said to contain (FLASH, Channel Frequency Data Storage, Function Setting Parameter, Debug Mode Parameter) and I beleive this is a similar if not same flash chip the 77 has. The other interesting portion is this radio has a separate MCU (R5F212BCSNFP) for running the LCD screen and flash memory (W25Q64FVSIG). As I said before, I'm relatively new to all this and I run the firmware on my gd77 and was willing to see if it'd be possible to push some sort of variant of the firmware onto this radio as it has a bit of potential to it. With IU2KIN work on the MD-380 version it could possibly be worth a short considering they use the same Baseband Processor, I'm not sure of the MCU compatibility though. Thoughts Roger?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:47 pm

kc3awn wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:09 pm
VK3KYY wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:06 am
IU2KIN + one other Ham is working on the MD-380 version

I started looking with Ghidra at another radios firmware today (Fairly new to this btw). I did some digging and found the radio has a HR_C5000-1 for the baseband and STM32F405VGT6 for the MCU and it would appear the flash memory for the MCU is a W25Q80 which is said to contain (FLASH, Channel Frequency Data Storage, Function Setting Parameter, Debug Mode Parameter) and I beleive this is a similar if not same flash chip the 77 has. The other interesting portion is this radio has a separate MCU (R5F212BCSNFP) for running the LCD screen and flash memory (W25Q64FVSIG). As I said before, I'm relatively new to all this and I run the firmware on my gd77 and was willing to see if it'd be possible to push some sort of variant of the firmware onto this radio as it has a bit of potential to it. With IU2KIN work on the MD-380 version it could possibly be worth a short considering they use the same Baseband Processor, I'm not sure of the MCU compatibility though. Thoughts Roger?
There is already a team working on the MD-380 port. Niccolo and Silvano in Italy.

I think they posted to another thread on here somewhere

kc3awn

Post by kc3awn » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:40 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:47 pm
[
There is already a team working on the MD-380 port. Niccolo and Silvano in Italy.

I think they posted to another thread on here somewhere
I wasn't speaking to the MD-380 I was speaking to the Connect Systems 800D Mobile Radio that has some similarities but some differences. I was just trying to see if based on the hardware I've listed if you think its feasible for me to continue to pursue based on what you already have in place with your firmware.