Belt clip from GD-73

DU2XXR

Belt clip from GD-73

Post by DU2XXR » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:05 am

This is the clip from the GD-73. It's metal, but a bit small. Trying out if it will be better than the flimsy generic clip our radios have (which seem to be common among Baofeng UV-5R and even the TYT MD380).

Good mod?

kt4lh

Re: Belt clip from GD-73

Post by kt4lh » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:08 am

I hated my Yeasu VX-7R but I loved its belt clip. A little round nub, almost nothing on its own, the clip you just kept on your belt or such and it snapped in, stayed in until you pushed a button etc. I wish more radios came with those sort of clips.

DU2XXR

Post by DU2XXR » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:15 am

kt4lh wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:08 am
I hated my Yeasu VX-7R but I loved its belt clip. A little round nub, almost nothing on its own, the clip you just kept on your belt or such and it snapped in, stayed in until you pushed a button etc. I wish more radios came with those sort of clips.
We differ in opinion :). I loved my VX-7R but I hated the swivel clip. I felt it was somehow less secure than a normal alligator type clip. I've since sold my VX-7R (needed extra funds for the late XYL's Chemo back then), but I still miss the dual receive functionality and wideband capability (I was able to freeband my VX-7R). I recall there was an option to use alternative clips like the one for the VX-5, but I was not able to try.

Anyone have a source for better metallic clips, like the one on old-school Icoms?

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:09 pm

4I1RAC wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:15 am
We differ in opinion :). I loved my VX-7R but I hated the swivel clip. I felt it was somehow less secure than a normal alligator type clip. I've since sold my VX-7R (needed extra funds for the late XYL's Chemo back then), but I still miss the dual receive functionality and wideband capability (I was able to freeband my VX-7R). I recall there was an option to use alternative clips like the one for the VX-5, but I was not able to try.
Was it less secure or just felt so? I never used the one with the tab that unclipped it on rotating, I used the one that turned freely. That way you had to push the button and I never had it release on its own.

I don't miss the dual receive because it wasn't usable because the radio heard itself and couldn't even scan with both VFOs active; it'd stop at the same 3-4 places every scan cycle forever because of birdies.. I sold it because it was junk ;) I didn't really replace it unfortunately, I wound up getting an Anytone with similar features which is okay but poor front end.

But back on topic here, I like your line of thought here, I've always liked metal clips more than plastic ones. I've unclipped a few cheap plastic belt clips leaving the clip behind my belt in the past. The hinge bits just fall apart, metal clips aren't going to do that.

W0RMT

Post by W0RMT » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:42 pm

I really wanted to like swivel clips, like the ones on my Garmin GPS case and Kenwood HT soft cases for the TH-D72. But in the end, I didn't like their performance. So no swivel clips for me.

That GD-73 clip looks strong and simple, Angelo. It's probably a good mod. I haven't had any problems with the stock belt clip yet.