Mains hum on FM Tx with radio in the charger

VK3KYY

Mains hum on FM Tx with radio in the charger

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:01 am

Guys

I've noticed when doing some testing, that on FM I get quite a lot of mains hum on FM Tx.

The primary cause of this seems to be the mains charger unit, but also things are worse if I use a speaker mic.

Strangely, things also seem worse on 2m than 70cm, but that doesn't make any sense.

I tried various power levels, but I get the problem even at 250mW.

This is not going to be an OpenGD77 firmware problem, but I think that anyone running their radio in a charger all the time, like I do, may have degraded Tx performance both on FM and DMR because of the hum (though in theory it should not matter to the 4FSK FM signals that DMR uses)

DF9HJ

Re: Mains hum on FM Tx with radio in the charger

Post by DF9HJ » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:15 am

I had the same with mainly cheap chinese mics.
If I use Kennwood mics I newer had that problem.
At some points also DMR was affected.

YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:14 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:01 am
I've noticed when doing some testing, that on FM I get quite a lot of mains hum on FM Tx.
It is a known problem, at least for me. Handheld transceivers usually have cheap chargers and hum is expected, if used while charging. I was always told by "older" amateur radio operators not to use it that way, for mentioned reason. I wouldn't worry about it. ;)

BTW, there's a mod to reduce RF noise, but you probably know that.
Modifications, hints, tips and technical information for the Radioddity GD-77

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:01 pm

The TP5100 charger drop-in also is said to improve the RFI on the charger, although it's still pretty significant. Weaker repeaters on one HT disappear as soon as I drop the GD77 or MD380 into the charger, so for me it's not so much "through" the charger as RFI from the charger.

I believe the original charger was worse, but if you're curious I can dig it out, I only modified one of the two.