NA7Q - Unofficial Firmware Build [9/27][GD-77][DM-1801][RD-5R]

NA7Q

Re: NA7Q - Unofficial Firmware Build [9/27][GD-77][DM-1801][RD-5R]

Post by NA7Q » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:33 pm

I have not yet properly calibrated the power levels for that radio. If you could message me directly, we could give it a go for all levels.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:51 pm

Guys.

IMHO you are wasting your time, trying to have any accurate power levels across multiple radios for any power levels below 1W.

I have 5 GD-77, and the power output on the values below 1W is different for each one of them, even if I calibrate the 1W setting to the nearest 10mW (which is the best accuracy on my power meter)

The problem gets worse the lower the power level, and the least variance I could achieve across 5 different radios was +/- 50mW

Also, power output is a function of battery voltage, and different chargers charge the battery to different voltages, so unless you both have the same voltage on your batteries, and also keep the battery voltage stable at that voltage, the values won't tally.

And, the turn-on threshold for the PA FETs is different in each radio. Radioddity (TYT) don't seem to fit the same manufacturer FET in every radio, I think they just buy in whatever is cheapest.

The FETS in the RD-5R and the DM-1801 also have different power vs drive voltage profiles.
The RD-5R also has a less complex drive train, so its overall profile is completely different to the other radios.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:29 pm

Guys,

Its becoming increasingly difficult for me to understand who is doing what with which version, so I'm afraid, I'm going to need to stop discussions about people's own custom versions on this forum

As you may have noticed I had to remove the Custom firmware section because I was receiving regular emails about old custom firmware in that section which were long dormant, but people seem to think I'm responsible for.

I know a significant number of people think this version is my version, and don't know about my repo at all.

Then today, someone said that they sent me a Pull Request to fix bugs in my version, but it looks like they must have forked from another custom version, and I don't have time to track down which of the 89 forks their bug fix is based on.

There are plenty of other places where people can discuss their own version, but its now becoming unmanageable and confusing for both me and other users having multiple versions on the site, each with different functionality.

I'll leave this thread active for another day, but after that it will initially be locked and then I'm going to need to remove it.

NA7Q

Post by NA7Q » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:33 am

Thanks to everyone on here. Thanks to the admins for allowing me to post my builds on here from the beginning until now.

Here's the new domain to host my builds. Join now!
http://forum.hamdesk.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:01 am

NA7Q wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:33 am
Thanks to everyone on here. Thanks to the admins for allowing me to post my builds on here from the beginning until now.

Here's the new domain to host my builds. Join now!
http://forum.hamdesk.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2
Thanks for your understanding.

I'll lock this thread now, and people can then click on your link to go to the other forum