NA7Q - Unofficial Firmware Build [9/27][GD-77][DM-1801][RD-5R]

KC7RBW

Re: NA7Q - Unofficial Firmware Build 1/4/20

Post by KC7RBW » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:32 am

NA7Q wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:36 pm
It has minor Interface changes for the English language settings to fit my personal likes.
Interesting. I have a minor change to the Channel mode UI that I keep on a branch and rebase to master frequently - it adds the RX frequency and TX offset if any to the very bottom of the display. I tried to get it merged, but Roger didn't see enough interest in it at the time, so the pull request got closed.

It seems very important to me to see the frequency I'm receiving, and the frequency I'd be transmitting on. Daniel added a feature that shows the frequencies when you press SK1 in channel mode, but I still like to see the frequency while I'm browsing channels, so I'm still maintaining my branch.

Very importantly you can't do that with the stock firmware. Well, you sorta can the way folks do for the MD-380 but that's a lot less accessible to folks like me who only dabble in C. But having an open source firmware for a radio, with great maintainers, is a game changer for me. If I want my radio to work a little differently I can do that and that's awesome.

I wonder how many other changes there are out there that folks are maintaining for themselves.

NA7Q

Re: Re:NA7Q - Unofficial Firmware Build 1/4/20

Post by NA7Q » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:31 am

Thanks! I have uploaded the latest version. It can be found in the #1 post.
VK3KYY wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:43 pm
To stop confusion with my builds, I've moved this to the General discussion section.

I am about to do a new release, but in general Alex, Colin Daniel and I are trying to bug fix and stabilise the code, which means that we are not likely to be any new features for a while.

NA7Q

Post by NA7Q » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:31 am

I'll perhaps merge that into mine. I plan on maintaining my builds as long as I have the radios. Which will be as long as they sell them haha. Do you build your own and keep it up to date? I see you're a local to me of Washington. Small world.
KC7RBW wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:32 am
NA7Q wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:36 pm
It has minor Interface changes for the English language settings to fit my personal likes.
Interesting. I have a minor change to the Channel mode UI that I keep on a branch and rebase to master frequently - it adds the RX frequency and TX offset if any to the very bottom of the display. I tried to get it merged, but Roger didn't see enough interest in it at the time, so the pull request got closed.

It seems very important to me to see the frequency I'm receiving, and the frequency I'd be transmitting on. Daniel added a feature that shows the frequencies when you press SK1 in channel mode, but I still like to see the frequency while I'm browsing channels, so I'm still maintaining my branch.

Very importantly you can't do that with the stock firmware. Well, you sorta can the way folks do for the MD-380 but that's a lot less accessible to folks like me who only dabble in C. But having an open source firmware for a radio, with great maintainers, is a game changer for me. If I want my radio to work a little differently I can do that and that's awesome.

I wonder how many other changes there are out there that folks are maintaining for themselves.

KC7RBW

Post by KC7RBW » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:41 pm

NA7Q wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:31 am
Do you build your own and keep it up to date? I see you're a local to me of Washington. Small world.
I don't plan to keep publishing new builds, but I do build it for myself regularly. As there seems to be some interest in improving the feature I'll post builds with what I'm trying on my other thread. Will probably figure out how to make it optional, possibly with an enum so that users can choose what data to show in the footer.

Small world indeed! You're down by the other Vancouver? I thought your callsign looked familiar from the WWARA database. :)

NA7Q

Re: NA7Q - Unofficial Firmware Build 1/5/20

Post by NA7Q » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:48 am

I'm out near Astoria. So it's definitely a small world. I'm finding a lot of Washington and Oregon GD-77 users on the Facebook groups and around here. Good stuff.

NA7Q

Re: NA7Q - Unofficial Firmware Build

Post by NA7Q » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:11 am

Updated! Check the first post!
viewtopic.php?p=3379

m1dyp

Post by m1dyp » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:36 am

thank u

NA7Q

Post by NA7Q » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:38 pm

Updated once again. Minor fix for the manual toggle of the display. Other additions. Enjoy folks.

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:46 pm

NA7Q wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:38 pm
Updated once again. Minor fix for the manual toggle of the display. Other additions. Enjoy folks.
What do the short press actions do, vs long press?

NA7Q

Post by NA7Q » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:51 pm

kt4lh wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:46 pm
NA7Q wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:38 pm
What do the short press actions do, vs long press?
Long press orange starts the scan. Long press black displays the frequencies in channel mode. Short press of black toggle the display when in manual mode. Short press orange brings up the quick menu still. There's some duplicate functions of the buttons. Blue + 1 starts the scan. So does double tapping orange. The old functions still exist.
Does that answer your question?