DMR filter VS TS filter??

KA1CM

DMR filter VS TS filter??

Post by KA1CM » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:52 pm

Hi All,
I have 2 questions?

If the DMR filter is ON, the word DMR on the top left corner will display in reverse. However, If the TS filter is OFF, the word TS will display in reverse. Is there a reason behind this? Why aren't they the same?

The second one, If I have a talk group list that has both TS 1 and 2 talk groups. Then I set DMR filter to TGL (Talkgroup list) and TS filter to ON. Will the radio hear all talk group in the list regardless of the TS?

Thank you,
KA1CM

VK3KYY

Re: DMR filter VS TS filter??

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:17 pm

When things are shown in inverse video, it denotes from non-default operation

The default operation is for the TS filter to be enabled. Hence if you disable it, the TS characters are displayed in inverse video to inform the operator that they have disabled the TS filter

By default TG's are not filtered, hence if you enable TG or other "DMR" filtering, then the "DMR" text is displayed in inverse video.

There is also technically a reason why the TS filter is not disabled by default, which is becasue the DMR hardware (IC) in the radio is not designed to be able to do this. Originally the firmware always listened on both TS, but filtered the TS in the firmware. However it was found that the DMR IC had no way for the firware to know which TG and ID were being received on which TS.
So the firmware had to be changed so that, at a hardware level, the DMR chip is only told to receive one TS

TG filtering is disabled by default, because the TG is not part of the physical layer of the DMR protocol. i.e TS's are physically the pulses of the transmission RF, whereas TG's and IDs and Call type flags are just bytes within the DMR data.

Generally the firmware attempts to make the radio hardware operate in a way that non-digital radios operate, in that any signal that is on a frequency should be received without filtering if possible.

However its impossible to disabled the CC filter and not fully possible to disable the TS filter in the hardware, hence why these two parts of the DMR protocol are filtered by default, but the TG is not.

The "Override" TS in the Digital Contact are used to select a TS to override the TS defined for the Channel, when the TS filter is enabled (i.e the default).

They are not used to control the TS filter.

KA1CM

Re: DMR filter VS TS filter??

Post by KA1CM » Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:03 pm

Thank you, Roger. Your firmware is awesome.