Quick Guide/Reference

DU2XXR

Quick Guide/Reference

Post by DU2XXR » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:08 am

Planning to start a "quick guide" or reference sheet for OpenGD77. The documentation has grown so long and comprehensive, that users might want something they can quickly refer to in a few pages.

The firmware's UI is very quick and intuitive, but I might be biased as I have already been using it a few weeks. Someone new to OpenGD77 might face some learning curve.

W0RMT

Re: Quick Guide/Reference

Post by W0RMT » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:42 am

That's a great idea, Angelo. A shorter quick guide/pocket reference would be nice!

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:04 am

I agree

People usually don't have time to read the entire manual

F1CXG

Post by F1CXG » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:08 pm

Great idea Angelo, I did this kind of documentation when I was working .... :roll:

OH1E

Post by OH1E » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:11 pm

nice idea! a quick guide will be also less work for translation in different languages. i was thinking to translate the big guide to Finnish language, but as development is very active now, alot new features coming all time, it is not worth at this point yet to translate, but a quick short guide with basic things would be an option at this point :)

gw0tqm

Post by gw0tqm » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:30 pm

Hi

I started to do something similar - my target audience was for the person who had gotten to grips with the original software and CPS and needed a 'what is different' start up so that they can use their existing knowledge without it confusing them (as it did me as Im no longer great at reading enitre manuals like I once used to - I think its because I forget the beginning before reaching the end....)

Anyway I paste it here for comment/amendment/ridicule whatever feel free to steal any good bit(s).

If you are already familiar with the Radioddity GD77 CPS – official version, then read this first. There are a number of changes that might prove puzzling at first.

1. Scanning. Scanlists can still be entered, but are now ignored. When you press SCAN (orange button twice) the OpenGD77 will scan all the channels in the current ZONE and ignore scanlist settings.

2. The Channels can still be allocated a Contact(used as a Talkgroup) but this setting is now ignored. Channels remain defined by CC, frequencies and TimeSlot – but will receive ALL talkgroups on that slot.

3. The Receivegroup has disappeared (because the channel receives all the Talkgroups on that slot anyway) but has been replaced by a Talkgoup List which looks similar in the CPS. The TGList determines which Talkgroups will be selected/scrolled through by using the Left/Right keys on any channel.

4. You can enter any talkgroup (not in the TGList) from the keypad prefixed with # and followed by [GREEN]. You can enter an individual Contact number prefixing with ## and followed by [GREEN]

5. When entering Talkgroups into the Contact list, you have the OPTION of choosing a Slot. This has the effect, that when the channel is switched to that TG, the channel slot setting is ignored and replaced by the slot setting in the contact. This means when you use Left and Right to change Talkgroup you can have the slot change with the TG if desired. e.g. you can scroll from TG9 on slot 2 to TG13 on slot 1

6. The option to program keys to different functions remains, but is ignored. The [BLUE] key is also referred to as the [FUNCTION] key. The [GREEN] key as the [MENU] key. The [ORANGE] key as the [QUICK MENU] key. The [BLACK] key is held on switch on to enable Hotspot mode when connected to a Raspberry pi running pi-star by the programming USB cable.

7. You cannot directly edit memory channels. Instead you use the [ORANGE] quick menu to copy the channel to VFO. Edit the VFO. Then switch back to the target memory channel and use [ORANGE] to copy the VFO to that memory. You cannot create new memory channels – but you can fully edit old ones.

8. The Zone can be changed by pressing the [GREEN] menu key twice. The list of Zones includes a permanent one called ALL CHANNELS which when selected puts all the channels into one big Zone.

8. Key combinations:

[BLUE] + left - reduces the power output in multiple steps
[BLUE] + right -increases the power output similarly
[BLUE] + * toggles FMN with DMR

[ORANGE] twice starts scanning contents of selected Zone (individual channels can be set to be ignored by scan)
[GREEN] stops the scan

[RED] toggles Memory/VFO mode

In VFO mode with the > pointing to R(x) the UP/DOWN keys change both TX and RX frequencies together
In VFO mode [BLUE]+UP/DOWN changed the > between R(x) and T(x)
In VFO mode with the > pointing to T(x) the UP/DOWN keys only change the TX frequencies (split)

# number [GREEN] enters a group call contact/talkgroup
## number [GREEN] enters and individual call contact/talkgroup ( eg 9990 echo on phoenix)
### opens the Contact list for scrolling.

Keypad lock: press and release [GREEN] and then * to lock the keypad (no indication of this until you press a key when it displays ‘Keypad Locked Press Blue + * to unlock’)

Press AND HOLD Blue + * to unlock. (Maybe it should say Hold BLUE + * to unlock?)

m1dyp

Post by m1dyp » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:37 pm

looks good to me

DU2XXR

Post by DU2XXR » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:50 am

Looks good!

Users really have to read the guide to see what else is new, as there are a significant number of UI differences from the stock firmware. A lot of people I personally demo the OpenGD77 to are still confused by the <- and -> treatment of talkgroups. Many are still stuck with the old mindset of assigning a talkgroup per channel. Even on my MD380 and RT8 with custom firmware, I no longer bother with that many channels and talkgroups -- I just do ad hoc TG.