Documentation and user guide

F1CXG

Re: Documentation and user guide

Post by F1CXG » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:04 pm

Well, my picture is still not the good one , it may be for another time .... 8-)

DU2XXR

Post by DU2XXR » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:27 pm

F1CXG wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:04 pm
Well, my picture is still not the good one , it may be for another time .... 8-)
Hmm. Just to be sure can you email the latest to me at qsl@n2rac.com? I got the one you linked here. But I may have missed something during upload to the repository r during pull request.

W0RMT

Post by W0RMT » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:32 pm

Angelo-

let me know if you want me to put in a Table of Contents. I've got a package in Atom that can generate one. I can also insert the proper diagram from F1CXG. But I'm not sure if you're doing that now so let me know.

DU2XXR

Post by DU2XXR » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:27 pm

W0RMT wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:32 pm
Angelo-

let me know if you want me to put in a Table of Contents. I've got a package in Atom that can generate one. I can also insert the proper diagram from F1CXG. But I'm not sure if you're doing that now so let me know.
I also have Atom, but still trying to learn. I have work to do tonight, so please do feel free to do the PDF and other fixes. I notice there are some ToC items that are not properly pointing (perhaps wrong/misplaced references?).

Thanks, Bud!

DU2XXR

Post by DU2XXR » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:28 am

Another next step here would be to convert all the screen images into screenshots from CPS, if that's viable. Would take time, though.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:58 am

I did think about possibly adding some system to send commands to the radio, to change menu and to simulate the buttons being pressed, so that it would be possible to automate this process, but I think it would take much longer to create the system to do this, than it would to manually set each menu and do the screengrab.

Perhaps if I created an auto generated name, based on the time, it would save initially having to name then image files but at some point they would need to be renamed.

BTW. The screengrab is copied to the clipboard prior to the save dialog being shown, and stays on the clipboard even if the image is not saved to disk

DU2XXR

Post by DU2XXR » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:29 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:58 am
I did think about possibly adding some system to send commands to the radio, to change menu and to simulate the buttons being pressed, so that it would be possible to automate this process, but I think it would take much longer to create the system to do this, than it would to manually set each menu and do the screengrab.

Perhaps if I created an auto generated name, based on the time, it would save initially having to name then image files but at some point they would need to be renamed.

BTW. The screengrab is copied to the clipboard prior to the save dialog being shown, and stays on the clipboard even if the image is not saved to disk
Thanks for this, Roger. Perhaps doing screenshots one at a time for now would suffice, if building a system takes significantly longer than doing it manually.

The screens would change to mine, though -- perhaps I should rename some zones, channels, and TalkGroups to reflect something more apt for our project, when taking screenshots, HIHI.

W0RMT

Post by W0RMT » Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:59 pm

Thanks for continuing to work on this Angelo! I've been swamped with work the past few days. But let me know if there is something specific I can do to help with the User Guide or screenshots project.

DU2XXR

Post by DU2XXR » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:17 am

W0RMT wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:59 pm
Thanks for continuing to work on this Angelo! I've been swamped with work the past few days. But let me know if there is something specific I can do to help with the User Guide or screenshots project.
Thanks, Bud. Might be a busy weekend ahead. I guess it's just the screenshots that I need help with -- or a quick way to grab screenshots without having to manually do everything.

W0RMT

Post by W0RMT » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:32 pm

4I1RAC wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:17 am
W0RMT wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:59 pm
Thanks, Bud. Might be a busy weekend ahead. I guess it's just the screenshots that I need help with -- or a quick way to grab screenshots without having to manually do everything.
OK so let's have a plan for the screenshots. Do we want to capture new screengrabs via the CPS to replace every screenshot in the User Guide now? I think so. The big question is one you already alluded to: is it OK if those are local to the person making the screengrabs (e.g., different ID, repeaters, etc) and therefore we edit the text around the image? If we decide yes, I can start on the systematic process of making all new grabs and inserting them into the guide, etc.