Preferred way to setup Contacts and Channels

m1dyp

Re: Preferred way to setup Contacts and Channels

Post by m1dyp » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:46 am

it really has taken the radio to new heights and it is so easy to use as well.

IZ2EIB

Post by IZ2EIB » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:03 pm

Hi Roger.
VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:12 pm
For me I have many repeaters which use the same TG, so I do not want it to change.

But I see for some people they want the TG that is assigned to the Channel.

The TG for the Channel ( the Contact ) is only used if the Tg List ( aka Rx Group list) is set to none, or is empty.
VK3KYY wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:48 pm
The Rx Group does not work as a Rx Group (at least not at the moment)

The Rx Group has now been renamed to TG List, and only provides a list of TG's for the Left and Right buttons

The TG is complicated.

If you enter a number e.g. #123435 Green that value will be locked until you press Left or Right to select a TG from the TG List (Rx Group)
I do not know if it is a problem of my GD-77 using the Open firmware or what, given the issues that I have already reported here on the forum, however also me I would be interested in stuck the RX on a single TG with the purpose to only listen to it excluding all the others possible TGs transiting on the same time slot (ie "promiscuous mode off").
I am using the firmware
TEXT.png
TEXT.png (2.56 KiB) Viewed 4574 times
and I have tried to set TG List (aka Rx Group list) but sadly I can still listen to all the TGs transiting on the same time slot.
Again with TG List set to none I tried to set the wanted TG using the sequence # + TG_number + Green or calling it from the contact list, but sadly even so I can still listen to all the TGs transiting on the same time slot, so no "promiscuous mode off".
I guess that this feature is actually not yet available with the Open firmware, if it ever will be.
Therefore at the moment it is not possible to work around it, however I have asked for it to exclude that it could be a spurious effect that occurs only with my transceiver, since it seems nobody else except me has some of the problems that I have described in other threads.
Thanks!

73 best regards de Fabio IZ2EIB

DD1LBM

Post by DD1LBM » Tue Dec 17, 2019 9:51 am

IZ2EIB wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:03 pm
I do not know if it is a problem of my GD-77 using the Open firmware or what, given the issues that I have already reported here on the forum, however also me I would be interested in stuck the RX on a single TG with the purpose to only listen to it excluding all the others possible TGs transiting on the same time slot (ie "promiscuous mode off").
Yes..that is exactly my problem. If you are listening to a TG and there is traffic on another TG, the radio will switch between them and you are unable to listen to the first qso any longer..

Same happens in PC.. the qso is interrupted if the radio hears someone talking in a TG and switches over, so you cannot talk to your partner anymore.

Roger, could you take a look, if it possible to make the promiscous mode switchable, please? That would end all of my problems at once..

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:21 am

If you are being interrupted by other talkgroups it is not the fault of the radio, it is the fault of how your repeater network or hotspot is configured.

The OpenGD77 firmware does not filter talkgroups yet, this is something that may be added in the future.

However even with talkgroup filtering your conversation would still be interrupted by another talkgroup on the same timeslot.

A timeslot can only send one talkgroup at a time. It is the network that decides what talkgroup is sent on the timeslot and not your radio.

Turning on talkgroup filtering (or turning off promiscuous mode) stops your radio hearing unwanted talkgroups but it does not stop those talkgroups from occupying the timeslot.

DD1LBM

Post by DD1LBM » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:38 am

Okay, so I have a knot in my thoughts somewhere. How can I avoid that behaviour? I'm working on an MMDVM hotspot here and getting nuts with that..

YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:55 am

DD1LBM wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:38 am
Okay, so I have a knot in my thoughts somewhere. How can I avoid that behaviour? I'm working on an MMDVM hotspot here and getting nuts with that..
There are two ways:
1) remove all static TGs from Pi-Star and use only dynamic. Open TG (by pushing PTT with selected TG), use it, when finished - close it.
2) remove all static TGs from Pi-Star and set only one static according to your needs, either via Pi-Star dashboard, or BM app (both from phone).

1b and 2b) Remove static TGs and make PCs as long as you want.

I was in your situation few times, but here we don't have such traffic, so it is not often and passes quickly.

If you are on repeater, then there is no solution, as repeater is a "shared good" among AROs.
Should be treated and used as analog repeater is, meaning you have to give "space" (air-time) to others too.

DD1LBM

Post by DD1LBM » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:14 pm

Thanks,YT5HOK..that was the information I was missing.. Everything is fine now without static TGs..

Now back to topic and please accept my apologies for capturing this thread..

YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:17 pm

No worries mate. It was on topic, just a little wider topic... ;)

Cheers!

IZ2EIB

Post by IZ2EIB » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:09 pm

@G4EML
I want to clarify that from my side the question I asked has more than a diagnostic purpose in order to investigate the weird behavior of my GD-77 when running the firmware Open.
Thank you Colin for having confirmed that the TGs filter option has not yet been implemented, if ever it will be, the user manual says:
The OpenGD77 firmware can use the TG list to filter the incoming DMR signal, or it can operate in “Digital Monitor Mode”
(aka promiscuous mode) all the time. This can be set in the radio quick menu setting for Filter.

I also specify that what I wrote is not related to the use of the transceiver with a hotspot.

@DD1LBM
You are a really polite man, respect!
Me too I have to apologize.

73 best regards de Fabio IZ2EIB