Options to change the default squelch

VK3KYY

Options to change the default squelch

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:26 am

I've been using the scan feature to listen to some marine traffic and I've noticed that the default squelch is too tight.

Rather than have to manually set an override variable squelch on each channel, I think ideally the Options should perhaps include a setting to set the standard FM squelch.
However this would need to be different for VHF and UHF because of the noise thresholds being different, and just to complicate things, the calibration data includes 2 sets of Squelch thresholds for each band.
However, its not possible to change individual values in the Calibration without reading the whole of the Calibration data for both bands and then modifying it before saving it back to the Flash - which is potentially dangerous as if the Save failed the radio would no longer work and people may not have backed up their calibration using the CPS.

So the safer thing is probably to add 3 settings for VHF, 220Mhz and UHF squelch to the Options screen.

W1AEX

Re: Options to change the default squelch

Post by W1AEX » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:52 am

I've noticed the same thing while scanning local police/fire/ems traffic. The safer 3-setting option sounds like a good solution for this.