[Solved] Scanning Problem

DJ0HF

[Solved] Scanning Problem

Post by DJ0HF » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:18 pm

I wonder what I am doing wrong. When I start scanning it works fine in FM mode but in DMR mode I see the S-Meter flashing as it sees signals but the scanning never stops. I take it there is something really simple I am forgetting.

W1AEX

Re: Scanning Problem

Post by W1AEX » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:09 pm

I believe this will happen if the DMR repeater is using a TG that is on a different TS than the DMR channel you are scanning. Also, if the RX Group List you have selected for that DMR channel doesn't include the TG that the repeater is using the GD-77 will show the activity light and the s-meter will deflect but it will not stop for it. There may be other scenarios as well that result in this so others might be able to clarify further. I think Roger is working on an implementation of a "Promiscuous Mode" at this time (DMR Mon:CC,TS) as that might be the answer for general DMR scanning. With the latest release I see it in the menu, but I'm not sure how far along it is.

Rob W1AEX

DJ0HF

Post by DJ0HF » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:58 pm

Hi Rob, thankyou for the info but I don't think this is the problem as the channels are in the receive group list and also when I select the channel manually I hear the stations without problem and the correct talk grou/TS is stored in the code plug, so the talk group and Time slot do not seem to be the issue. However I will check the setting one more time as maybe I really have made a mistake somewhere. I've also tried the monitor filter turning off TS and only having CC but it makes no difference. But thanks anyway for the input.
Ian
DJ0HF/G3ULO

DJ0HF

Post by DJ0HF » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:51 am

I should of course have said all the Talk Groups are in the Receive group list not the channels but I have checked again and everything looks okay.
Never mind maybe someone else will also have an idea what is wrong. 73, Ian (DJ0HF/G3ULO)

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:20 am

The firmware does not filter on TG, so that will not have an effect on the scanning.

Rob is correct about the TimeSlot, except with the changes to DMR Monitor / Filtering functionality, you could disable TimeSlot filtering

I just tested again, and scanning in DMR works OK for me.

DJ0HF

Post by DJ0HF » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:04 pm

all understood. I have tried changing the monitor filter but it makes no difference. Anyway the channels can be selected manually, for example my hotspot which is set with TS2 shows someone talking with no inverse video so the TG is also correct and up a couple of channels is someone talking on the local repeater on TS1 with TG232, all no problem. Even if I choose the simplex channel I have programmed with TG99 and transmit to the GD77 from my RT3, no difference. I start scanning and I can see it is scanning these channels (autoscan set for each channel) as I briefly see the name come up if I look closely but the scanning never stops. OnFM evertything works just as you would expect, no problem. I'm not very worried as I don't think I will be using the scanning on DMR much but it's strange and I have no idea what is wrong. Thanks again for checking. 73, Ian DJ0HF/G3ULO

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:19 pm

Your comment “(autoscan set for each channel)” might be significant. The auto scan tick box on the CPS has a different function in OpenGD77. It is used as a ‘skip channel’ flag. If this is set then the scan will skip over the channel and not stop.
You can check and change the state of the flag by pressing Blue + Green to see the channel details screen. Make sure ‘Skip’ is not set on each channel.

DJ0HF

Post by DJ0HF » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:42 am

Thank you for that. I had mis-interpreted the meaning of Auto-Scan and as soon as I removed the tick from each channel scanning began working as it should. So as I suspected my mistake. Again many thanks.. 73, Ian DJ0HF/G3ULO

G4EML

Post by G4EML » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:29 am

We are doing many things in a different way to the official CPS. Therefore the functions of some of the codeplug items are different. Scanning is one of those differences. We are using the ‘auto scan’ flag as ‘zone scan skip this channel’ and the ‘lone worker’ flag as ‘all scan skip this channel’. The scan list entry is also currently not used and may eventually be used for something else.

Once the project has reached a stable condition I am sure that Roger will update the community CPS reflect the changes.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:18 pm

With the new 80 channels per zone feature , I am having to build a different version of the CPS.

So I will try to remember to also change the AutoScan label on the channel screen and also make the checkbox work all the time,