TS override priorities

VK3KYY

TS override priorities

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:46 am

Guys

I'm trying to confirm whether the current implementation of the TS override on the Contact TG works correctly for all use-cases

Currently the priority operates like this

1. If the Contact TG, does not have a Repeater Slot / TS override, then the radio will use the TS defined by the Channel
2. If the operator presses the * to change TS, the radio will always change TS.
3. If the current TG (in the TG List), has a TS override, when you change TG to that TG, or you change Channel and the current TG has an override, the TS will change to the TS of the TG.
4. If you press * to change TS, then change TG, the TS will change to the TS set for the TG.

Effectively, the TG TS override, acts like the * button, (except it changes to a specific TS).

5. If the TS was changed because I pressed *, and I press and hold * to clear the TS, it will change to the TS defined for the TG, but if no TS is defined for the current TG, then the TS will use the TS for the Channel

To test this did the following tests to confirm the logic is working

I have
"Channel A" set to TS1
"Channel B" set to TS2

I have my contact is TG9 with Repeater slot override Disabled
I did a long press on * to clear any TS override

If I change channel using the Up and Down, I see the TS changes depending on if it is Channel A or Channel B

If I press the * to change the TS, e.g. to TS 1, when I change channels, the TS remains as TS1.
If I press * again to change the TS to TS2. when I change channel (from Channel A to Channel B, the TS remains on TS2

If I change TG on eithe Channel A, or Channel B, to a TG which a TS override e.g. TG 5 is TS1, and TG3803 is TG2.
Then the TS always changes to the TS of the TG.

If on TG3803 TS2, I press * the TS changes to TS 1
If on TG5 TS1, I press the * the TS changes to TS2

If I long press on *, the override is removed and the TS changes to the TS for the TG.

I then assigned different TG Lists to Channel A and Channel B

Channel A I assigned my Brandmeister TG List
Channel B I assigned my DMR MARC TG list

The first TG in my Bandmesiter TG List is the TG OpenGD77 on TS1
The first TG in my DMR MARC TG List is TG 505 TS2

When change from Channel A to Channel B , I see the TS changes from TS 1 on Channel A where the TG is OpenGD77 on TS1, to TS 2 on Channel be because the TG is 505 TS2

I then changed Channel A to TS2, and re-tested and for the OpenGD77 TG, the channel still changes to TS1, because of the TG of the TG.

Anyway.

Although this logic works for me, perhaps it doesn't work for all uses of the firmware.

So I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me whether they thing the logic is correct or whether something is wrong.

PS. We could display when the TS is "overridden" but personally I think this could be confusing, because if the TS is set by the TG, the operator must have programmed this setting into the CPS, and it perhaps does not been to be shown as an override.

However perhaps if there is a manual override, (*) so that the logic of the Channel TS + TG TS is overridden, this may need to be displayed by showing the TS in bold font.

G4EML

Re: TS override priorities

Post by G4EML » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:23 am

All sounds logical to me Roger.

I think in practice, with a well set up codeplug, most users will not need to change timeslots manually very often, they will rely on the TG TS override setting to select the Correct TS.

In fact we may be in a situation where more people use simplex hotspots than repeaters, in which case the timeslot selection is irrelevant.

Colin.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:39 am

Colin

Thanks.

Its possible that a single solution won't fit with everyone's needs, and if necessary we could add an option to control some aspects.

Then once the functionality is nailed down, I can document it in the User Guide, so that there is no further confusion

DG3GSP

Post by DG3GSP » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:46 pm

Hello Roger,

i´m total pleased with the current TS override prio.

Personally i don´t need a bold font display for the TS..

Ik0nwg

Post by Ik0nwg » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:14 pm

In fact, as Colin says most of us use simplex hotspots ... but one thing that is currently missing is to visualize which TS they are talking about when we are tuned to a repeater (also because we usually don't have any filter activated on the TS and therefore we listen to any communication)
Ciao Roger

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:45 pm

Ik0nwg wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:14 pm
In fact, as Colin says most of us use simplex hotspots ... but one thing that is currently missing is to visualize which TS they are talking about when we are tuned to a repeater (also because we usually don't have any filter activated on the TS and therefore we listen to any communication)
Ciao Roger
Hi Sal

The only indication that the TS of the Rx signal is not the same as the TSx in the display, is that even if the TG of the current contact is the same as the TG of the Rx signal, the display of the TG is shown in inverse video.

However, I agree.... if the current TG is not the same , as the Rx signal, its not possible to know whether the inverse video display is because of the TS or the TG

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:47 pm

DG3GSP wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:46 pm
Personally i don´t need a bold font display for the TS..
Point noted.

I know Colin also doesn't like the bold font, and perhaps even for the Channel Power setting, the display may need to be changed to indicate when the Channel has specified an override for the power.

In the current (unreleased) test version, we are using bold font to indicate manual override of TS, but it sounds like this is no a good idea.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:04 pm

I've now done some more testing, and the difficulty is for Contacts e.g. TG9 which don't have a TS override, but adjacent contacts in the list do have TS overrides

e.g.

If the TG List is

TG 8 TS1
TG 9 --- (No TS)
TG 10 TS2

When TG8 is selected the TS will be set to 1
Press Left arrow to change to TG10 and TS will be set to 2

All OK so far.

Press Left from TG10 to TG9 what value should the TS be ?

In the current version, if there has not been (ever) a manual override applied, then the TS is changed to the TS of the channel

However, if a manual override has been applied then the TS does not change. This is probably a bug.

Also.

If the TG has a TS, should this clear the manual override setting completely, or just temporarily have higher priority than the manual TS setting.

I think perhaps it would be easier, if when the TG has a TS, that the manual override value is set to the TS for the TG..

So that the TG TS functions by the equivalent of pressing the * button

Probably what is not clear to the operator, is that the firmware stores a Manual Override TS, (separately for the Channel screen and for VFO A and separately for VFO B)
This Manual Override TS value is for when the TG does not have a TS, so that if you set a TS using *, then turn the radio off and on again, then the TS you set (using *) is restored.

Also when changing from the VFO to the Channel, that the Channel manual override is applied.

Sorry that this is sooooo complex, but mostly the internal operation his hidden to the operator, and it all just works .... by magic ;-)

Ik0nwg

Post by Ik0nwg » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:58 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:45 pm
Ik0nwg wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:14 pm
Ciao Roger
Hi Sal

The only indication that the TS of the Rx signal is not the same as the TSx in the display, is that even if the TG of the current contact is the same as the TG of the Rx signal, the display of the TG is shown in inverse video.

However, I agree.... if the current TG is not the same , as the Rx signal, its not possible to know whether the inverse video display is because of the TS or the TG
press the sk1 key when we are receiving so the TG is also prepared for the TX .... and if the writing is still inverse, does it mean that TS displayed on the screen is not the one where they are talking? Did I understand Roger? I was not aware of this useful feature
Grazie Roger

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:51 am

Hi Sal

If the TG is displayed in inverse video, this can be because

1. The received TG is not the same as the current Tx TG
or
2. The received signal is on a different TS to the current Tx TS

or.. Both 1 and 2

So pressing SK2 changes the TG to the received TG, and it also changes the TS to the received TS - if you have disabled TS filtering.

Unfortunately it was not possible to easily display the TS and TG difference on the display, so we use inverse video for both conditions

I hope this makes sense...