doc clarification for new DTMF and monitor info

Zl1XE

doc clarification for new DTMF and monitor info

Post by Zl1XE » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:29 am

I'm trying to add docs for the new DTMF and Monitor features.
I don't have any DTMF near me or CTcSS or DCS so I can't experiment to find out how to best explain what new features do :(
(Anyone) Please give me some advice about how I might flesh out or make more accurate the following:

DTMF:
New feature added to the CPS (where DTMF sequences and tone durations can be defined) and to the radio (under Menu/Contacts/DTMF) where these contacts are listed and can be transmitted.
DTMF is used in applications such as IRLP and Echolink, as a means to dial outside numbers via phone patch, or for repeater owners to configure systems remotely.

In the CPS:
- The top level menu "DTMF Settings" defines the delays/duration of these tones.
- DTMF contacts are added in the CPS under "Contacts".
- A DTMF contact has a label and a number of digits. Each digit is sent in sequence (using the DTMF settings).
In the Radio:
- In "Menu/Contacts/DTMF" you will see the premade named list of DTMF sequences.
- Use up down keys to select your desired sequence and then Menu to select it.
- You will then be prompted to hit Menu again to Tx the sequence.

In an Analog channel you will send (and hear) the DTMF tones.
In a DMR channel the tones are sent digitally.

Q: Is there a way to send DTMF tones manually from the radio ?
Q: what have I missed.
Q: Are there special reasons for DTMF tones on DMR repeaters vs Analog ones (Or any other use cases) ?

Monitor mode:
Enables monitoring of a channel for any traffic on the Rx frequency.
- All filters are turned off and squelch opened.
Enabled by holding down the Fn key for >2 secs.
- For Analog channels the Rx CTCTSS filter is disabled.
- For DMR channels all filters (TG, TS, CC) are disabled and if no DMR signal detected then will swap to Analog after 250ms.
- Releasing the Fn key reverts settings to the prior filtered state.
If you want to do this on the input channel of a repeater hold down the SK1 key first (swaps Tx/Rx for monitoring repeater input).

Also just found out *(hold) means revert TS to programmed value for that TG.
Any other keypresses snuck in that are not in the existing cheatsheet docs. I.e. here:
- https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... eet-01.svg
- https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... eet-01.svg

VK3KYY

Re: doc clarification for new DTMF and monitor info

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:58 am

Q: Is there a way to send DTMF tones manually from the radio ?

Yes. Press the number keys or * or # on FM while transmitting. This feature has been implemented for a long time

Q: Are there special reasons for DTMF tones on DMR repeaters vs Analog ones (Or any other use cases) ?
The firmware does not support DTMF on DMR, and I'm not sure if any repeaters or systems use DTMF over DMR

DTMF over DMR is a completely different system, as constant tones can't technically be sent via DMR as the codec is only designed to encode and decode speech data.

The AMBE bytestream has special byte sequences (see the latest docs in about the internals of the true AMBE codec as it seems to list some of the bytestreams).

Anyway, because there does not seem to be a Ham radio use for DTMF over DMR, we've never investigated those special byte streams.

Also.

Currently there seems to be a bug when in Channel mode which keeps resetting the TS override, i.e equivalent to pressing and holding the Star button.

I'm not sure why the code that resets the TS override was added to Channel mode, possibly by accident, and I'm now trying to find out if perhaps there was a reason for doing this.

BTW.

I don't think you missed anything, except I think Monitor mode needs more work, because on DMR if the channel is set to simplex (Tx F = Rx F) but the signal is duplex, then even in Monitor more, you won't hear any audio.