Voice prompts - to be done

OK1TE

Voice prompts - to be done

Post by OK1TE » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:01 pm

Hello,
I just wanna summarize here what is yet to be done regarding the voice prompts.
Should I forget something, just list it here. Let’s implement it then carefully.

Consolidate the fast value changing process for all settings/tuning: changed option name is announced only for the first time, then just the new value is spoken.

ID review/change:
- the prefilled ID isn’t read
- arrow left doesn’t read the deleted number

TG/PC entry:
- arrow left doesn’t read the deleted number

Quick menu:
- VFO A/B should use prompt_VFO to announce “VFO” instead of “V F O”
- tone scan “all” add a new prompt prompt_all instead of “A L L”

Channel details:
- VFO A/B use prompt_vfo ...
- RX, TX use prompt_MHz instead of “M H Z”
- RX, TX CTCSS:
* say “not applicable” instead of “N A”
* says “N O N E”, when reporting the value for the first time, but “none” correctly when changing the value
- bandwidth:
* say “not applicable” instead of “N A”
* use prompt_kHz instead of “K H Z”
- step use prompt_kHz instead of “K H Z”
- vox:
* add a new prompt prompt_vox instead of “V O X”
* use prompt_on/off instead of “O N”/”O F F”

What to do with prompt level 2? My proposal is to announce just the new value when changing/tuning as the advanced user usually know what they are changing by which button in which context. Ideas?

F1RMB

Re: Voice prompts - to be done

Post by F1RMB » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:09 pm

Hi,

I think you need to check the code first, to get why is spelling like this, as all the things you want implies a lot of extra code, and space in such device is far from infinite.

Cheers.
---
Daniel

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:43 am

A lot of what you write has already been logged as an enhancement issue on Github e.g.

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... issues/765

There are currently 32 open issues, some quite serious.

If these things matter a lot to you, then you should consider implementing a fix for them in your own version.

OK1TE

Post by OK1TE » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:20 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:43 am
There are currently 32 open issues, some quite serious.

If these things matter a lot to you, then you should consider implementing a fix for them in your own version.
Guys, I didn't intend§ to flood you with voice prompts related work. That's why put this to the general discussion space, not to bugs or feature requests. I'm aware of other issues too.
I just wanted to keep somewhere in public the current state of the voice prompts feature compared to the perfect state. And I really don't expect the perfect state released tomorrow...

Yes, it matters for me and I'll really try to find some time to push it forward, but I thought the forum serves as a place where we can discuss the issues priority, how to implement, who will implement, etc.
My summary also assumes two short words to be added to the dictionary, and I probably need your support for that in LibreDMR if you consider it suitable.

And thank you very much for what you did so far.

ok1icq

Post by ok1icq » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:02 pm

Hi. I totally agree here with OK1TE on what should be improved in the voice prompts. Now I'd like to consider more the level2 when it's already there, it should have its proper function, which means a medium verbosity for the advanced users.
OK1TE wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:01 pm
What to do with prompt level 2? My proposal is to announce just the new value when changing/tuning as the advanced user usually know what they are changing by which button in which context. Ideas?
My ideas are:
In the channels view:
Instead of "Channel 1 4 5 2 0 0" or "Channel OK0OMX" it should say only "1 4 5 2 0 0" or "OK0OMX". The word "Channel" isn't needed.
The same applies to the contacts, when browsing through them using the left/right arrows in the channel view it should say only their names without the word "Contact".
When changing the VFOs it should say only "A" or "B", "VFO" isn't needed.
The modes change "Mode FM" "Mode DMR" should also say only "FM" or "DMR".
When enterring a menu e.g. RSFI, Contacts, Last heared, it doesn't have to say the word "Menu" after it's entered e.g. "RSFI menu, just RSFI.
The signal strength there also can say only the number, we all know that it's s5, so 5 is enough here in the voice prompt level 2.
When changing some values e.g. squelch or some other settings with changeable values it should announce just the values and not the type of setting I'm modifying.
I can continue in such things, I hope you understand my idea. This would make the voice propmt level 2 really usable, I would for sure prefer it to the level 3, cause it's faster to operate when it says just the things I need.
Thanx a lot and hope these changes are possible to be applied in some future version of this great firmware.