Looking for feedback re proposed features

vk7js

Looking for feedback re proposed features

Post by vk7js » Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:31 pm

Features I would like to contribute to the official firmware if no-one has any objections.

Hi All,

Below is a list of features I have implemented in my personal Github branch which I would like to contribute to the official firmware. these requests have been discussed on the Blind Hams email list with overwhelming support. All except one of these features will not affect any sighted users unless you use the radio with Voice Prompts on. If no-one objects, I will create pull requests for the individual features for inclusion.
Below I'll list the features and the reasoning.
1. Pressing * to toggle between timeslot 1 and 2 announces the new slot number. While a blind person might easily be able to remember that a low beep is off and a high beep is on, settings like which beep is dmr and which is fm or which is time-slot 1 and which is 2 is harder to remember.

2. Pressing sk2+* anounces the radio's new mode. See above.

3. This is the only feature which is not related to voice prompts but has been requested by others and I personally find it useful:Hold down hash in channel or VFO mode to temporarily open the squelch in FM mode, even if there is a CTCSS code on the channel or frequency. This is equivalent to the monitor feature on many radios. I chose the hash key because in DMR mode it allows you to change the tg or pc (i.e. what you hear), but in analog mode it doesn't yet do anything and changing what you hear is remotely related to its function in DMR mode. The squelch is only held open as long as the hash key is held down, and reverts to its prior setting and/or code when released.

Thanks for your consideration.

Joseph vk7js.

DJ0HF

Re: Looking for feedback re proposed features

Post by DJ0HF » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:29 am

Hi Joe,

although most blind hams have probably got used to the beeps for ts1/ts2 and dmr/fm I agree that it would be far better to have the voicing rather than having to remember the beep meanings and I also agree an easy way to carry out a quick monitor the input frequency in FM whether or not CTCSS is enabled as many other radios do is a good idea.

Ian
DJ0HF/G3ULO

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:42 am

Functionality to play the voice prompt for TS was implemented some time ago, but not enabled.

IMHO for consistency, it should only be played immediately on voice level 3, or possibly voice level 2.

Putting it onto Voice level 1 would possibly require changes to other things to make it consistent, e.g. TG and channel names would also need to be voiced on level 1 and this would render the whole voice level system redundant.

Its also possible that squelch should really be on level 2 or 3 not level 1 (this is my bad)

Voicing DMR / FM is more complex than it looks, because on Level 3 changing between modes immediatly plays the TG when you switch to DMR.
Hence under these conditions does it need to say "Mode" "DMR" "TGXXX", or is the "Mode" and "DMR" made redundant as the TG is only voiced on a DMR channel.

On Level 1 and 2 then it is possible, but again, there is a different beep between DMR and FM, and so potentially this should only be immediately voiced on Level 2.

Pressing SK1 will always re-voice whatever is in the buffer, so the annouceItem() function already sets up the "DMR" or "FM" prompt ready to be played if SK1 is pressed.

Re: Pressing # on FM.

See
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1264

The request has already been made for monitor mode, which must have a consistent UI on FM and DMR hence the # key can't be used.

Possibly SK2 Long Press may be possible but is difficult to add this functionality onto a radio with a limited number of buttons without making the UI too complicated for a lot of users.

vk7js

Post by vk7js » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:47 pm

Thanks Ian and Roger for your feedback. I'm grateful you got onto 1 and 2 so fast, I had pull requests almost ready but you beat me to it. Also, I now understand a bit more about your standard and naming conventions etc. I guess I hadn't studied it long enough with such limited spare time but I appreciate the need to keep with the existing architecture, naming conventions and style for future maintainability and comprehensibility. I'll certainly do my best in future to take care in these areas. Point taken about the monitor feature. I hadn't thought it useful in DMR mode but I guess it could be. How about long press on orange, as sk2 seems to be fully loaded, I mean in order to change power, radio mode etc you already have to hold and then press another key, and that hold could easily be turned into a long hold accidentally.