Increasing the size of the DMR ID database?

IZ2EIB

Re: Increasing the size of the DMR ID database?

Post by IZ2EIB » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:17 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:03 pm
The official firmware can store 10,000 callsigns, but does not have the facility to store names at all
Hi Roger.
This is a good news, as every possible improvement to the firmware and its functionality is always welcome.
Thanks!
From my point of view, synchronization with the last heard is already an uncommon sophistication on its own.
Anyway, being able to increase the available space is surely always useful.
And what a convenience to be able to import the database from CVS!
However, I think that the hardware modification would be the best solution

https://opengd77.com/viewtopic.php?f=13 ... lash#p5309

https://www.rogerclark.net/gd-77-8m-byt ... ware-hack/

but I think that as long as the firmware does not support it even by doing it, there will be no improvements.
We will see!
Thanks for everything Roger!

73 best regards de Fabio IZ2EIB

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:48 pm

I think I will buy some more 8Mb memory chips and try to update some more of my radios.

G0NHF

Post by G0NHF » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:40 pm

Hi Roger,

Is the DMRID database wiped completely each time it is updated, or is new data added to existing data?
I’m in favour of increasing the size of storage if it doesn’t impact performance.
I’d personally not want to go back to official firmware.

Thanks
Tony

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:25 pm

The DMR ID database is independent of the codeplug and also the firmware uploads.

It has to be uploaded as one complete database, it can’t be added to because the ID numbers In the database must be in numerical order for the binary search algorithm in the firmware to work

Because the firmware uses a binary search , aka, binary tree search, on the data, doubling the size of the data does not double the search time. In this case I think it would only increase the search time by a few hundred microseconds

KC7RBW

Post by KC7RBW » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:49 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:17 am
However we would need to overwrite the display fonts used by the official firmware, so that if you reloaded the official firmware it would not work.
Would it help to put the OpenGD77 fonts in the same spot as the official firmware and in the same layout so that if someone does switch back to the official firmware maybe the fonts look different but at least it works? I mean would that free up space for contacts?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:26 am

KC7RBW wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:49 am
VK3KYY wrote:
However we would need to overwrite the display fonts used by the official firmware, so that if you reloaded the official firmware it would not work.
Would it help to put the OpenGD77 fonts in the same spot as the official firmware and in the same layout so that if someone does switch back to the official firmware maybe the fonts look different but at least it works? I mean would that free up space for contacts?
The OpenGD77 doesn't use the same fonts as the official firmware. The fonts used in the OpenGD77 are stored as part of the firmware rather then being stored externally in the Flash memory, which free's up that space in the Flash memory.

With the official firmware, the larger font is stored in the Flash memory, but the smaller font seems to be part of the firmware.
The format of the official font is also different, its quite an inefficient system , as the font is rotated by 90 degrees in the Flash memory, and the firmware has to rotate every letter before putting it onto the screen.

We have generated a optimised fonts for the OpenGD77, which are in the correct format for the display, and don't need to have any processing applied to them

W1AEX

Post by W1AEX » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:31 pm

I like the idea of expanding the DMR-ID storage capabilities even if it means not having an easy path back to the "official" Radioddity firmware. I currently use the 6 character download option to store the the full 2 x 3 callsigns (sorry about the 2 x 4 Australian format) and the 26k storage capability is nice but going out to 60k would be pretty awesome. I have noticed that the HamDigital database seems to max out at 97,085 total DMR-ID entries when pulling with the CPS interface. I wonder if they are having a truncated database issue of some kind?

73, Rob W1AEX

YT5HOK

Post by YT5HOK » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:32 pm

W1AEX wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:31 pm
I have noticed that the HamDigital database seems to max out at 97,085 total DMR-ID entries when pulling with the CPS interface. I wonder if they are having a truncated database issue of some kind?

73, Rob W1AEX
Might be that those callsigns that have never been used (not in the last heard database) are omitted.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:36 pm

I think YT5HOK is correct

I downloaded the entire DB from Hamdigital and it was only around 50% the size of the entire DB from RadioID.net

A lot of people originally registered for 2 ID's but only ended up using one of them.

I have 2 ID's but for 2 different callsigns, one for my VK3 and one for my G4 (UK) callsign. But I don't use my G4 unless I"m in the UK, and I've not been there for years

IZ2EIB

Post by IZ2EIB » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:43 am

VK3KYY wrote:
I think it may be possible to increase the DMR ID database size, to around 40,000 IDs, and with compression added as well, we could store over 60,000 ID's

Hi Roger.
Great idea, it would be wonderful!
Actually in case of need perhaps it should not be too hard to reload the factory firmware from Radioddity.
Maybe someone remembers that I had problems with fonts trying to revert to the original firmware from Radioddity for diagnostic purposes after facing problems with the open one and in that case I settled the matter using the stock firmware v3.1.5 from Radioddity (https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... r/firmware):

https://opengd77.com/viewtopic.php?f=11 ... ware#p2246

I can not be sure but it could work.

Thanks for everything Roger!

73 best regards de Fabio IZ2EIB