accessibility for blind hams

N6RXT

accessibility for blind hams

Post by N6RXT » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:10 am

I was wondering, if you were far enough in the firmware development,to consider the possibility of making this radio accessible to blind users.
Right now, the choices we have for DMR radios are quite limited.
We can use the GD77S which only reads the channel and zone number.
The other radio we can use are the MD380 with the various tools anoutput.
This radio is great because every menu in the radio is read out, but its not ideal for those that don't know the code.
Would it be possible to work on coding the CW output just to get people started?
This would at least give a 3rd and newer useable radio.
All you would need is cw output enable/disable and an option to configure the speed.
Possibly later you could work on some sort of option for people that don't know code, but for now, you could get a few blind users testing it out with cw, and we can provide input for making the radio generally accessible just by using beep tones and having the ability to enter things like talkgroup number, zone number, and channel number from the keyboard.
If for some reason CW output isn't doable right now, would it be possible to have some sort of mode where you can enter talk group, zone, and channel from the keyboard? hold down the # key when turning on the radio and the side buttons get mapped to these functions. That would also be a very workable solution for blind hams.

Thanks for your time.

VK3KYY

Re: accessibility for blind hams

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:12 am

This has already been requested and some work was undertaken to generate the audio prompts, but there was problems creating the compressed audio and things then didn't go any further.

See

https://www.opengd77.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=114

W0RMT

Post by W0RMT » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:58 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:12 am
This has already been requested and some work was undertaken to generate the audio prompts, but there was problems creating the compressed audio and things then didn't go any further.

See

We need to get back to this. It is my intention to work on this again in the new year. I'm not sure what's going on with that md-380emu right now.
Bud W0RMT / VK3BUD
Colorado HD BM TG 31088
coloradodigital.net

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:28 am

I've just realised that this is a separate thread.

I'm going to lock it now.

Please post to

instead