Sight impaired amateurs

DJ0HF

Re: Sight impaired amateurs

Post by DJ0HF » Tue May 19, 2020 4:27 pm

Hello Roger,

the new beep fuction means that quite a few UK blind amateurs have now ordered the GD77 and I have been writing unstrctions for them to follow to do things like upload the firmware etc. which they can do for themselves without needing sighted help. However I have hit a problem with the CPS when creating a code-plug I can navigate around the options using the keyboard with things like alt+s etc but I hit a brick wall when I for example open the window for contacts or channels. I have a list of channel but without using the mouse to click on the channel I want to modify I can't get the window to open with the contact or channel information for that contact or channel and so cannot modify it. Is there already a key combination which will open the window for an individual contact or channel or again asking for help is it possible to include one in the CPS for the blind amateurs to use.
Thank as always for your support with getting everything up and running for these enthusiastic amateurs some of whom are on D-Star and now want to move over to DMR <smile>
Ian
DJ0HF/G3ULO

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue May 19, 2020 9:35 pm

Hi Ian

Can you list the exact keyboard shortcuts which are needed and I will try to modify the CPS to all them.

FYI.

I have made a lot of progress with the voice prompts.

I now have an experimental version which can announce the channel name and also the contents of the battery screen,( the name of the screen and the battery voltage)

Currently I not have a full set of audio prompt files, I only have the numbers and letters and some phrases.

Also the volume of the prompts data is far too high, and I also hate the accent as it is very American for some of the letters.

I think the code is stable for this, so I will probably merge my experimental version into the Development version, and then upload the Development version to Github.

Although at the moment I am announcing the channel name, I think this is taking too long each time the channel is changed, so perhaps a better method is to use Long Press on buttin SK2 ( Blue ) to announce the results of the last change.

E.g. perhaps when a change is made by the operator, the firmware prepares the voice prompt for this change, but does not play it, and the operator must press and hold ( Long Press) the Blue button to hear the prompt.

Announcing the entire contents if the screen would take a long time e.g.

DMR TS2 500mW C1 100% TG 505 VK3RDR RPT

Do you have examples of how other systems handle this?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue May 19, 2020 11:50 pm

FYI.

I've been trying to find a better source of computer generated speech to convert to AMBE and embed in the radio, and I found this website

https://ttsmp3.com/

It seems to work in multiple languages and claims to save to MP3, or I'm sure the audio from the computers speakers could be recorded (I use Audacity)

DJ0HF

Post by DJ0HF » Wed May 20, 2020 8:23 am

Hi Roger,

the two main problems with the CPS involve the contacts and channel areas when you open for example the window for Contacts we can tab down to the first contact line but need a key combination to open the Digital contact window and the same with channels which normally use a double click to the left of the first editable field of the line.

The second problem is that when the new window opens for example Digital Contact the focus does not move to the new window and so we have no way to tab through the fields and the same for the channels. We are looking to see if we can find other problems but most of it seems workable for the blind ham. So far these are the two points where we hit a brick wall.

I have asked some of my blind friends about lengthy audio and will let you know what their thoughts are.

Many thanks,
Ian
DJ0HF/G3ULO

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed May 20, 2020 8:25 am

Hi Ian

I'll look at the CPS this evening.

I'll also email you with the experimental voice prompt version for the GD-77

DJ0HF

Post by DJ0HF » Wed May 20, 2020 10:02 am

Hi Roger,

thank you. The problem with the contacts list and the channels list is that the line number to the left of the first editable field where you double click can't be tabbed to (it's light blue). Either being able to tab to this field or a keyboard combination to open the digital contacts or the channel window without having to tab to this field should do the trick. Then there is just the focus of course which I mentioned.

I will look forward to the first voice prompt version to test.

Ian
DJ0HF/G3ULO

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed May 20, 2020 10:06 am

Ian

I emailed the firmware to you about 1 hour ago

Perhaps it got blocked as spam ?

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed May 20, 2020 12:08 pm

DJ0HF wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:02 am
Hi Roger,

thank you. The problem with the contacts list and the channels list is that the line number to the left of the first editable field where you double click can't be tabbed to (it's light blue). Either being able to tab to this field or a keyboard combination to open the digital contacts or the channel window without having to tab to this field should do the trick. Then there is just the focus of course which I mentioned.

Ian
DJ0HF/G3ULO
I've investigated and found one fix for not being able to access the Channel screen.

I can add code, so that when you press the Space bar on a selected channel in the list, it opens that channel.

I tried to use the Enter key for this, but the Enter key seems to be already be setup by default to move down one row, so the Space seems the next best option.

The other possibly way to do this is to somehow make the Channel screen (set to the first channel) an item on the Settings menu.
But it may be easier for me to add a new menu, because the Settings menu is linked to the Tree View, and changing them independently is difficult.

Its getting too late here to look at the Contacts etc, but I'll look at that screen tomorrow.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed May 20, 2020 12:18 pm

DJ0HF wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 10:02 am
Hi Roger,

Ian
DJ0HF/G3ULO
Ian

I've uploaded the experimental version to the Development release on Github

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... enGD77.sgl

Goto the Sound options, select the Propt item (Up arrow 1 step when the screen opens),

Press the Right Arrow until you select Voice (I think its 2 or 3 presses of the Right arrow)

Press Green to save

Goto the Channel screen.

Long Press on SK2 (Blue) should announce the channel name. If you change the channel and press SK2 again, it should announce the new channel name

If you press the Left or Right arrows to change the TG in the Channel, then press Long SK2 again, it will announce the TG (from the contract name)

If you press # to enter a TG number directly , it will announce the screen, and will also announce each number as you press the buttons.

The only other place I added voice was the Battery screen, and this was only as a test to confirm how a simple screen would work.

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Wed May 20, 2020 1:53 pm

Roger,

I know you're just doing experimental testing here, wanted to try this out and noticing at least a few minor quirks.. Blue+Left or Right is announcing the name before it starts changing power. And I have Prompt Normal, so I didn't actually expect it to announce anything. Same thing with Blue+Up/Down to change channels, etc.

Also another one I can't quite figure out.. I think this what I'm doing.. Change channel and talkgroup, make it announce the talkgroup. Then change the channel. It announces the talkgroup every channel change, even if the talkgroup on that channel is different.

Again, I think this only happens when Prompt is Normal. Setting it to Voice it seems to be working more like I'd expect.

Channel announcement works while scanning, which is... interesting. Scan a bank with different repeaters etc in it of course and hold blue while scanning, it announces a jumble of letters.

And interesting, I just made it stop working, no idea if I did anything specific. Was just hosing around and noticed it wasn't announcing anymore, power cycle and it was fine.

And a suggestion, a way to cancel the voice. Maybe red button?