Re: Sight impaired amateurs

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:22 pm

G0NHF wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:09 pm
VK3KYY wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:22 am
I uploaded a new version of the firmware and also a new English language file

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... atthew.bin

The VFO now voices when you enter the frequency, and it also announces the TG when you change it via the left and right arrow keys (when SK1 is pressed.
Roger, it would be nice if it said ‘Group’ when the left and right arrow keys are pressed. What do you think?
All the rest of the voice prompts are now working really well. I have been using the radio regularly and I’ve been relying on the voice prompts to navigate without any issues.

Regards
Tony
Ok.

I have the word YalkGroup already recorded, I will append it before the name if it’s a group call.
If it’s a private call it will need to say Private Call

m1dyp

Post by m1dyp » Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:39 pm

more updates I see it announces power level. tnx
73 de Ken :D

G0NHF

Post by G0NHF » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:17 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:22 pm
G0NHF wrote:
VK3KYY wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:22 am
I uploaded a new version of the firmware and also a new English language file

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... atthew.bin

The VFO now voices when you enter the frequency, and it also announces the TG when you change it via the left and right arrow keys (when SK1 is pressed.
Roger, it would be nice if it said ‘Group’ when the left and right arrow keys are pressed. What do you think?
All the rest of the voice prompts are now working really well. I have been using the radio regularly and I’ve been relying on the voice prompts to navigate without any issues.

Regards
Tony
Ok.

I have the word YalkGroup already recorded, I will append it before the name if it’s a group call.
Thanks Roger, that’s great.

I just have a few other suggestions. Do you think it’s possible or feasible to get the voice prompts to continue whilst navigating through the channels or groups. For instance once the black button is pressed and an announcement is made, pressing an arrow key within a certain time period will announce the next channel or group. This would allow the user to navigate through the channels and/or groups using voice prompts without having to continuously press the black button. Maybe a time period could be set after which the voice prompts would have to be reactivated with the black button? Don’t know if this is possible or even if you think it’s a good idea....

And how about the radio saying ‘Open GD77’ or ‘Welcome’ or both! when the radio is switched on with Voice enabled?

And finally, a low battery prompt maybe? I’m sure that would be very useful for everyone.

Just a few ideas I had whilst navigating around using voice.

What do you think?
Thanks, Tony
Last edited by G0NHF on Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:30 pm

G0NHF wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:17 pm
VK3KYY wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:22 pm
G0NHF wrote:

Regards
Tony
Ok.

Thanks Roger, that’s great.

I just have a couple of other suggestions. Do you think it’s possible or feasible to get the voice prompts to continue whilst navigating through the channels or groups. For instance once the black button is pressed and an announcement is made, pressing an arrow key within a certain time period will announce the next channel or group. This would allow the user to navigate through the channels and/or groups using voice prompts without having to continuously press the black button. Maybe a time period could be set after which the voice prompts would have to be reactivated with the black button? Don’t know if this is possible or even if you think it’s a good idea....

And how about the radio saying ‘Open GD77’ or ‘Welcome’ or both! when the radio is switched on with Voice enabled?

Just a couple of ideas I had whilst navigating around using voice.

What do you think?
Thanks, Tony
Hi Tony

Yes.

I check check whether the prompt is still playing, when you press a button to change Channel or TG, and it could then announce that channel.

I like that feature.

Note. I currently have a bug if you press too quickly when a prompt has only just started to play, it breaks the whole prompts system.

I have tried to find the bug, but it looks like there are multiple things causing it, because although I fixed one thing, and the bug now seems to happen less often, I know I still have the bug, and I need to track down the other causes.

The problem seems to be when it goes wrong, that re-enabling the speaker, and reconnecting the audio path, and initialising the audio buffers etc, doesnt fix the problem.

So I may have to do a full rest on the DMR chip, which would be a pain, because it takes a while to re-initialise it.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:08 am

BTW. I noticed that FM signals are currently taking priority over the voice prompts.

I will need to investigate and fix this problem

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:58 am

There is a now a new version of the firmware with voice prompts

This hopefully fixes the crash bug.
Follow-on playback has been added
Bug with FM Rx audio overriding the voice has been fixed
Sound Options is now fully voiced.

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... /D20200507

I removed the voice prompt data files, and they can now be downloaded from https://github.com/LibreDMR/voice-promp ... /languages

I have updates all languages except Portuguese (which I did not have time to update this evening)

You need to download and install the updated voice data to get the + and - words (plus and minus) for the items in the Sound options, which is now voice enabled.

I will try to update the other options screen during the week, but its takes many hours to make these changes...

m1dyp

Post by m1dyp » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:16 pm

thank you, just to say on english uk matthew, the T sounds like E
73 de Ken :D

W1AEX

Post by W1AEX » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:38 pm

Just a quick report Roger. I loaded the newest firmware and the updated US - Mathew voice pack into both of my GD77's. They have both behaved perfectly over the past 3 hours, in spite of me trying to make them crash by rapid menu navigating and other stressful activities. No problems at all so far so I think you have definitely made changes that have improved stability. Additionally, the Mathew - US voice pack sounds very clean and clear to my ears.

Thanks for all the efforts to chase down the crash bug and to improve the speed and clarity of the voice prompts!

73, Rob W1AEX

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:50 am

W1AEX wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:38 pm
Just a quick report Roger. I loaded the newest firmware and the updated US - Mathew voice pack into both of my GD77's. They have both behaved perfectly over the past 3 hours, in spite of me trying to make them crash by rapid menu navigating and other stressful activities. No problems at all so far so I think you have definitely made changes that have improved stability. Additionally, the Mathew - US voice pack sounds very clean and clear to my ears.

Thanks for all the efforts to chase down the crash bug and to improve the speed and clarity of the voice prompts!

73, Rob W1AEX
Thanks Rob

I'm now seeing the occasional crash. Its not caused by pressing the buttons quickly, but seems to happen at random.

I'm sure its being caused by the voice prompts, but not by the same thing as was causing it before

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:59 am

Guys

I've done some more updated.

The Display Options, Options and Contacts screens now all have voice prompt support.

The Contact screen support is not 100% of the functionality, as its only for the selection of a Contact to apply to the current Channel or the VFO.
I don't think anyone who is visually impaired is likely to be initially modifying the Contact details or deleting contacts, so that work will need to go on to the To Do list

https://github.com/rogerclarkmelbourne/ ... /D20200507

I have also updated the English UK and USA language packs, as well as building language packs for French and German.

I had to some some restructuring of the on-screen language texts, which resulted in the need for more words to be synthesised to audio.

I've also added support for the % sign to be voiced correctly e.g. as used on the Options screen.

I still need to update the Italian and Spanish language packs with the changes in the firmware, but the existing packs should still work OK.

I have also started to create the packs for the other supported languages e.g. Finnish, Danish, Polish etc etc
But its not possible for me to build these language packs until native speakers of those languages have edited the wordlist files, because the texts in the files at the moment are directly copied from the on-screen texts and often these are abbreviations which don't work well as synthesised words.

https://github.com/LibreDMR/voice-prompts/tree/master

Note.
There seems to be a random crash bug, which is probably being caused by the voice prompts, but until I can work out what conditions cause the crash, its going to be very hard to fix the bug.