Sight impaired amateurs

DJ0HF

Re: Sight impaired amateurs

Post by DJ0HF » Thu May 21, 2020 3:53 pm

Hi Roger,

as you suspected changing to SK1 removed all the problems with the speech appearing at the wrong times.

Ian
DJ0HF/G3ULO

W1AEX

Post by W1AEX » Thu May 21, 2020 8:52 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:30 am
kt4lh wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 11:21 am
No, not at the same time. Once the voice prompts break, I was getting no more DMR voice at all. Repeater was active, I was seeing calls flash on the screen, and when I turned on my MD380 I could hear folks, but the GD77 was not making a peep until I cycled it.
I'm not sure what you mean by "voice prompts break"
Hi Roger,

I've been following this thread closely and the implementation in this test version is brilliant. I do see what KT4LH has reported. When I was playing with the vocal prompt feature and having the voice spell out alpha tags in the display the voice abruptly stopped vocalizing what was on the screen. At that point there was also no longer any audio when transmitting or receiving DMR transmissions. Powering the GD77 off and then back on again restored functionality. It seems like there might be some instability in the vocal prompt system in this experimental version.

73, Rob W1AEX

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu May 21, 2020 9:23 pm

Thanks Rob

The problem is probably being caused because the DMR part of the firmware is still running , and is probably resetting the audio buffers or the U2S DAC.

I will need to add some more code to prevent the DMR and also the FM signals killing the current audio prompt and getting everything in a mess

kt4lh

Post by kt4lh » Thu May 21, 2020 10:17 pm

VK3KYY wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:23 pm
Thanks Rob

The problem is probably being caused because the DMR part of the firmware is still running , and is probably resetting the audio buffers or the U2S DAC.

I will need to add some more code to prevent the DMR and also the FM signals killing the current audio prompt and getting everything in a mess
Glad Rob was able to describe it when I utterly failed ;) Thanks for all you do Roger!

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Thu May 21, 2020 11:40 pm

Guys

I've uploaded a new Development version to github. You can download it from the same link as before.

Hopefully it should fix the problems with the voice prompts cutting out and locking things up, when a DMR signal is received or ends during the voice prompt playback.

Note. There may be still be some sequences of events which still cause a problem, so please let me know if you come across any..

Also.

Daniel noticed that the First In List beeps are not working when the voice prompts are enabled. This is an oversight by me, but Daniel has submitted a fix for this, in with a big load of other change to handle Long and Short presses of the Blue, Black and Orange buttons - which I now need to integrate and test.

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri May 22, 2020 1:27 am

I've now updated the firmware to include Daniel's enhancements and bug fixes

W1AEX

Post by W1AEX » Fri May 22, 2020 2:20 am

Roger,

I have not yet loaded the firmware with Daniel's changes, but the voice prompt fix released just before that seems to be working fine with no lockups after many uses of the voice prompt feature. It seems to be working very well. I'll load the latest release tomorrow and give that one a run.

Thanks again,

73, Rob W1AEX

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri May 22, 2020 3:07 am

W1AEX wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 2:20 am
Roger,

I have not yet loaded the firmware with Daniel's changes, but the voice prompt fix released just before that seems to be working fine with no lockups after many uses of the voice prompt feature. It seems to be working very well. I'll load the latest release tomorrow and give that one a run.

Thanks again,

73, Rob W1AEX
Hi Rob

Thanks

The most noticeable differences with Daniel's update, is that to trigger the voice prompt, you must press and immediately release SK1 (Black) button.
Holding in SK1 just shows the channel information e.g. frequency and CTCSS settings etc.

m1dyp

Post by m1dyp » Fri May 22, 2020 5:53 am

VK3KYY wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:07 am

The most noticeable differences with Daniel's update, is that to trigger the voice prompt, you must press and immediately release SK1 (Black) button.
Holding in SK1 just shows the channel information e.g. frequency and CTCSS settings etc.
works great, thank you all.
73 de Ken :D

VK3KYY

Post by VK3KYY » Fri May 22, 2020 6:06 am

Ken

It will get a lot better when I have time to re-make the AMBE audio files.
We can also do a British English version, as personally I don't like some of the current very American sounding audio.

I'm not sure why, but some of the letters of the alphabet seem to sound like they are said with a northern USA accent and some sound like they are from Texas or somewhere else on the southern border of the USA.

I'm intending to try to use audio generated by www.ttsmp3.com

But I've got some other code clean-ups to do first.